Great weekend, and a new riding first for norm!!

What a brill weekend, gave a clinic on saturday which went really well. Saturday evening stayed with some friends and got on the wine!! something i rarely do LOL...
Sunday woke up and was reminded that during sat evening i had agreed to go for a hack in a western saddle and just a Halter!!!!
Now i could not remember this ha ha..
So sunday turned into a first for me, hacking for 1.5 hours in a western saddle and halter...here's the proof...
It was a wonderful hack this is between wellington and malmesbury among the vineyards and mountains..absolutely stunning..did have a little moment when we jumped a ditch and he proceded to land and go off bucking LOL..am i converted to western..not sure, i do know i am having trouble walking today..This the first hack for a couple of years for me..
Say hi to merry.
3107110301280x960.jpg

3107110311280x960.jpg

3107110341280x960.jpg

3107110391280x960.jpg

and a pic on the hack it does not do justice to the scenery and the weather was stunning..
photo.jpg

Last edited:
You need to get on the wine more often!lol. Great pics - how fab. What are those thin straps that hang down the sides on Western saddles? Are they just for fancy?

You need to get on the wine more often!lol. Great pics - how fab. What are those thin straps that hang down the sides on Western saddles? Are they just for fancy?

LOL...i had a hangover as well!!! i think they are for tying your bedroll on? there is so much kit on the saddle i don't know what half of it was for..needless to say i did not tack up..
Oh forgot to say we had 4 rhodesian ridgebacks for company as well..

Hehe, quite jealous - doesn't quite compare to our walk around the reservoir last night and having to get off to haul pony over a bridge and bridle comin off.... Lol

Fair play to you Norm, looks like you had wonderful scenery to get out and about in.

Suprising how many muscles you forgot you had when you go hacking for the first time in years, lol, I know, did it myself again this week !!

Fair play to you Norm, looks like you had wonderful scenery to get out and about in.

Suprising how many muscles you forgot you had when you go hacking for the first time in years, lol, I know, did it myself again this week !!

Well done you for getting out and about..i must do it more often, so enjoyed it..even if i'm still walking like john wayne:wink:

Oh I'm DEAD jealous, mate! Have always wanted to try Western.... and fair play to you for trusting the horse in a rope halter. Says me who put Roo in a Dr Cook and went straight out on a road hack!! :tongue:

newrider.com