Green bin and rubbish compost..

Dark Storm

Well I'll be a Krampus's Auntie! :D!
Jan 4, 2009
Hadfield
Anyone else not able to stick cardboard in? Ours is virtually obsolete.. just has guinea pig muck and hay in it now................

Haven't been able to put cardboard in ours for a few years now, just got a new one for cardboard and plastic.
So now have:
Green bin-garden waste
Grey bin blue lid-cardbord and plastic
Black box-tins,bottles,paper.
Grey bin for everything else.

I don't where people with small gardens keep them all.

Most areas have 4 bins now.. we barely have the space for 2... our Council is planning on yet another bin.. for the joy of it, I know where I'd like to stick that...........

We have.
Brown bin - garden waste.
Black bin - non recycleable household rubbish.
Seperate bags for glass, plastic, cans, paper/cardboard.
Small grey bin with bags in house for waste food.
Large outside bin for puttin full grey bin waste in.

Phew thats it i think. Lol

Anyone else not able to stick cardboard in? Ours is virtually obsolete.. just has guinea pig muck and hay in it now................

We can if we have a garden waste bin (it's a paying scheme in my area) in the district I worked in as a brief stint as a recycling officer they had recycling bins and garden waste bins and we always recommended that cardboard should go in the recycling bin rather than the compost bin as it's better to recycle something if it can be.. And also thick card doesn't compost well in the low heat composting systems that most councils use..

Councils that still separate recycling does seem a bit of a chore - everything including glass goes into one bin here which is very handy!!

We have 3.

Green garden cuttings only

Orange recycling pladtic card paper foil metal clothes but no glass

Black everything else

My only gripe is we have a black bin full every two weeks of animal bedding. Shavings and hay but cannot send to composting. Is frim rabbits/guineas/hamsters. I can hnderstand dog/cat.

But in a 2 weekly cycle we end up borrowing space in neighbours bins as we can only compost so much ourselves.

we only have 3 bins -

Blue Bin - Plastics
Smaller basket type of bin - cardboard
Black Bin - Rubbish

Thats it..i know my granny has 4 sorts of bins. She also has a green bin (compost etc ) and also a food waste bin (this is collected weekly)

2 household bins plus a garden waste collection.

My council don't even recycle glass separately unless you take it to the recycling centre.

We're happy to recycle, and the council have to remember that this also creates jobs, apparently they've started cutting back, as there are fewer bins to empty every fortnight..
I've joined the green bin brigade on FB, in support of them finding an alternative solution, and to help save the jobs of some of the recyclers, as they're on the line...

newrider.com