Green horse not listening

Emilyrosewhiteley

Oct 18, 2020
I’ve got a horse who is particularly broken in but she isn’t responding to basic things like halt or any steering. because she is a heavy cob she goes basically we’re she want even when that’s up to electric fence. weve tried lunging but she constally turns her bum out. Normally I would ask my sister but she just had a baby so can anyone help With any ideas on how to stop Her going where she likes.

Ideas yes. Get an instructor.

Whatever size she might be, if she is doing what she wants and won't stop, stop riding and work on the basics.

Longrein and lunging. She will be on the forehand and chances are can't stop as oppose to won't stop.

Imo all horses should be able to walk on lunge or longrein. If they don't listen to me on the ground, it won't get any better for me up top.

I was going to suggest in hand stuff on the ground but I think getting an instructor is a good idea too. I’ve no experience of really young green horses but our 14 year old that hasn’t been ridden in a while is benefiting from ground work.

I've worked with a lot of young and green horses and honestly, "not listening" is not really a thing. What you're describing is a horse that doesn't UNDERSTAND. I would strongly suggest getting an instructor, trainer or other person experienced with young horses to assess what's going on and guide you in her education because if you do not know what you're doing you are never going to be able to explain it to the horse!

Reactions: Jessey and Huggy
I'd also say get some lessons on her with someone used to producing young horses. What you're describing is an uneducated unbalanced horse, she's not being naughty, she just doesn't understand. There are no tricks or quick fixes when teaching the basics, and if you haven't done it before you may find it takes a while even with help - often what people think of as the basics actually aren't and that's why misunderstandings and problems start, as you've found out.

Reactions: Jessey
As above really, get someone experienced enlisted to help you teach her the basics. In the mean time work on those things in hand, get her really working off cues to walk on, halt, turn and move the haunches but be sure she’s following cues and not just stopping and going because you are or she’s just mimicking, not responding to cues that can translate to under saddle.

Reactions: Huggy
newrider.com