Green lipped mussel

Jessey

Dec 20, 2004
Suffolk, UK
Has anyone used this for mobility/flexability? or any other reason really?

I'm thinking of trying it for Jess, we just seem to be on the edge of her getting injured all the time at the moment, my vet assumed early arthritis given her age but the xrays of feet, fetlocks and knees show zero arthritic changes so I'm not after a joint supplement. I feel it's more of a high strung soft tissue thing, and anything she does out of the norm pushes her over the edge so was hunting for something to help maintain soft tissues. Any other suggestions also welcome :)

I've heard good things about it, but personally chose not to feed it as it isn't something natural per se, in their diet - but I don't feed cod liver oil for the same reason for example.

I've only known it to be fedfot joint support too - but that could be circumstantial.

I struggled finding something suitable for Pete's laminitis but also ulcer ptone ways (!) but have seen a considerable improvemrnt in flexibility since using pure MSM.

Reactions: Jessey
I've heard good things about it, but personally chose not to feed it as it isn't something natural per se, in their diet - but I don't feed cod liver oil for the same reason for example.

I've only known it to be fedfot joint support too - but that could be circumstantial.

I struggled finding something suitable for Pete's laminitis but also ulcer ptone ways (!) but have seen a considerable improvemrnt in flexibility since using pure MSM.
Thanks, I did try MSM previously with no noticeable change after a few months on it, perhaps I should try it again though :)

Sorry, can't help, I can tell you lots about joint supplements targeted at arthritis but nothing for what you want. Will be following this thread with interest, because it's something I've not considered, but would do for ours. I have heard of it's use (the green lipped stuff) in human supplements and weirdly some cosmetics / facial products!

Sorry, can't help, I can tell you lots about joint supplements targeted at arthritis but nothing for what you want. Will be following this thread with interest, because it's something I've not considered, but would do for ours. I have heard of it's use (the green lipped stuff) in human supplements and weirdly some cosmetics / facial products!
Yeah it seems most joint/mobility supplements are aimed at arthritis. I have heard quite a bit about GLM for humans but don't know anyone who has used it for their horse, I found the Gold Label GLM was only about 15 quid for a months supply so I might give it a try. ETA reading more about it, it seems most of the studies are on it's use for arthritis....what i read this morning said to '
help to lubricate joints, provide shock absorption in the cartilage and elasticity in the ligaments'​

I have tried various things for arthritis/joints before and not noticed any of them making any difference, turmeric, boswellia, msm, general chondroitin/HA/
Glucosamine ones, none of them seemed to help and she already gets vit E, selenium, high omega 3's, mycosorb etc. in her general supplement.​

Last edited:
Reactions: Trewsers
Have you looked at Maxa Vita's site? They seem to use it in a wide variety of supplements. I use their Pernamax tablets for Little Un, and while I did get it as a joint supplement it does feel as though his muscles in some places are less tight, though I guess that could be because he's more comfortable in his joints . . .

Have you looked at Maxa Vita's site? They seem to use it in a wide variety of supplements. I use their Pernamax tablets for Little Un, and while I did get it as a joint supplement it does feel as though his muscles in some places are less tight, though I guess that could be because he's more comfortable in his joints . . .
I'll have a look, thanks :)

I used a GLM supplement recommended (and sold by) the vet for one of the dogs but didn't notice any difference, other than to my bank balance. I did a little bit of research because I wasn't sure how ethical the whole process was and although I felt a bit easier on that score I did find a study on humans that found no difference between the sample given a placebo and the sample given GLM, although the sample given paracetamol showed a marked improvement in symptoms.

Suppose anything is worth a try though.

Helped Kia until he got old enough that most things didn’t work without a combination.

He was on a mix of

Turmeric
Cinnamon
Boswellia
Glucosamine/MSM
Linseed meal

This all mixed together and fed helped him no end. Wasn’t costly as bought in hulk and mixed together made more than 9/10 months worth sometimes

I used a GLM supplement recommended (and sold by) the vet for one of the dogs but didn't notice any difference, other than to my bank balance. I did a little bit of research because I wasn't sure how ethical the whole process was and although I felt a bit easier on that score I did find a study on humans that found no difference between the sample given a placebo and the sample given GLM, although the sample given paracetamol showed a marked improvement in symptoms.

Suppose anything is worth a try though.
You have to wonder at these studies, I found one on horses with fetlock (arthritis) lameness, it was a double blind multilocation one and they found significant improvements. I guess it depends on what is actually causing it in the first place as to if it will help.
Helped Kia until he got old enough that most things didn’t work without a combination.

He was on a mix of

Turmeric
Cinnamon
Boswellia
Glucosamine/MSM
Linseed meal

This all mixed together and fed helped him no end. Wasn’t costly as bought in hulk and mixed together made more than 9/10 months worth sometimes
I tried your mix previously when she was lame with no change but may have to give it another go as this is a different issue now.

Reactions: carthorse
If you are interested in natural remedies have a word with my friend Catherine at Naturally Animals www.naturallyanimals.co.uk . Her stuff can be quite dear but is great quality, or she can prescribe for you and you can buy locally. Her knowledge is extensive and she has old stiff horses herself!

newrider.com