Grooming scurfy skin

martini55

Apr 16, 2004
Scotland
Visit site
My horse suffers from sweetitch so is a bit scurfy generally, but it's 10x's worse when she changes coats. So now she is getting her winter coat through she is looking rather dingy and manky. It's decided it's definitely autumn I'd rather not bathe her as we only have cold water. Does anyone have any good ideas as to what's really good to use for grooming? A grooming block works to an extent but I was just wondering if there was anything much better that I'm missing out on. Thanks:)

My friend uses some kind of lavender oil stuff on her scurfy horse. She grooms him first then wipes him over with the lavender stuff to lift the scurf and moisterise his skin. Not sure what it's called but he smells nice :D. Can find out for you if you like x

I use a groovy groomer (similar to a rubber curry but with much longer 'knobbles') I massage him (circular motion) - it lifts the hair and gets out more gunk!
This year I also sprayed him with coat spray (cant remember what its called but its the spray version of their shampoo from tailgator.co.uk) This has really helped.

I have the same problem in march, my mother in laws t-gel shampoo works wonders stops the itch removes the dandruff. :)

The rubber curry comb works well!!!

I would use some sort if moisturiser worked in with the rubber curry comb to lift it iff.

I use jonstones (sp?) moisturising body spray work it in then leave then work the soft scabs off again:)

Nikki xxxx

Try adding some cod liver oil or something similar to his feed and this will aslo stop his skin from being so bad, will take a while for it to have some effect though.

newrider.com