grooming tips 4 new rider?

ponypalz

May 24, 2009
Hello!
I'm a novice rider who didn't get started until my mid-30's. I am totally addicted to horses (I love everything about them), but, sadly, I have many fear and confidence issues, as well. I was wondering if anyone had any tips for grooming a very sweet pony's tail (if the groomer is afraid to stand behind the pony). I'm entered in a grooming class in a small schooling show and I'd really like to make a good effort, but I'm very afraid to stand near the behind any horse for any length of time. I'd also appreciate any tips that you might have to win a grooming class.

Thank you loads for any advice.

I've never heard of a grooming class before!

Anyway, I normally stand slightly to the side of the hindquarters facing the tail. Run your hand down their bum so they know what you are doing (firmly so it doesn't tickle) then take the tail in your hand (so it is pulled sideways slightly) and brushed from there! :)

Good luck and welcome to NR :D

Hello!
I'm a novice rider who didn't get started until my mid-30's. I am totally addicted to horses (I love everything about them), but, sadly, I have many fear and confidence issues, as well. I was wondering if anyone had any tips for grooming a very sweet pony's tail (if the groomer is afraid to stand behind the pony). I'm entered in a grooming class in a small schooling show and I'd really like to make a good effort, but I'm very afraid to stand near the behind any horse for any length of time. I'd also appreciate any tips that you might have to win a grooming class.

Thank you loads for any advice.

You're quite right not to stand right behind the horse when you're grooming his tail. If you stand with your hip next to the horse's back end, facing away from the horse (if you know what I mean), take the horse's tail in your left hand (this is when you're stood on the horse's left) and let a few strands fall down at a time like PL52 said. Brush them with your right hand. No tips for winning a grooming class I'm afraid as I've never heard of it either, but just make sure you do everywhere (under the mane, belly, etc) and remember the little things like using your metal curry comb, not using a dandy brush on a clipped horse, all those little BHS things. :)

Thank you very much for the tips and the kind welcome. I'm sure you are right that a grooming class is unusual at most shows. Nevertheless, I'm looking forward to putting your tips to work and giving it a shot. Thanks again!

I stand to the side,so I'm in line with their back leg,then take the tail with my left hand and brush from the bottem up. I use no-nots to detangle any nots and to give it a nice silky smooth,shiney finish although I'm not sure if you get no-nots where you are. :)

with all but one horse i stand to the side of them, when i'm walking to the rear i keep my hand on them and just 'stroke' them until i get to the tail, i then hold it in one hand and hold the brush in the other hand, if it's a bit knotty then i work from the bottom of the tail up as it stops the knots getting worse.
the only time i stood behind the horse was when i had a horse that could and would cow kick constantly, she never once kicked out behind, just to the side regardless of what you did. so i stood behind her and never got kicked! :rolleyes:

you should learn what brushes are what and also what they are used for, i'm guessing you may even be asked about them during the class??? so it's all about practice and confidence. also remember sponges.........one for bum and one for eyes! ;)

make sure you face their bum and groom them with the hand nearest their side. for example if you are on the near side facing their bum you should be using your left hand. start with flicking off with a long bristled brush, then use a dandy bursh, then body brush and then wipe over with a cactus cloth. make sure to bursh their mane over the correct way and do the tail in sections. and pick out their feet and sponge their eyes and nose with one sponge and their dock with anpother sponge. also dont forget to do between their front legs and under their belly!

Thank you, thank you, thank you! I would not have thought to start from the bottom or to look for a good detangling product and sponges at the saddle shop. Now that I think about all the places that need cleaning, I'm sad to say I don't think we do a very thorough job of groooming before lessons at my RS.

Thank you also for the tip about brushing up on my brush knowledge, too. I'll bet you are right that they might ask about them! And, yes, I can't forget about her mane. I hope she doesn't cow kick. :eek:

Big thank you to PL52, Hoofytrot, horsecrazy, huskyfinn and Sunshine-X! Show was great. Pony was a star, but had to go (if you know what I mean:eek:) right when the judges were assessing her grooming (I think she tried to be careful ;)). Even so, the judges said that she was exceptionally clean! Thanks!

Attachments

• shintofunny.jpg
    shintofunny.jpg
    21.6 KB · Views: 26
newrider.com