Grooming

CrazyfurAnimals

I love Cyrano! :)
Jun 19, 2001
USA
Visit site
Everytime I brush a horse, I never can get rid of all the dirt!!! I start with the rubber curry comb, and after I think all the dirt is out, I get the hard brush. Then I get the 'leftover dirt' out. Then I go to the soft brush for the shine, but instead I'm left getting still more dirt out!!! Should I just brush longer with the hard brush? It seems like I'm brushing forever though, and it still won't all come out. I push hard and everything. what should I do?

Oh yeah, Cyrano did the cutest thing too!! I was brushing his neck after a hard ride (he was riddin before me too, so he was pretty tired by now) and all of a sudden he just stuck his lip up, and lifted his head in air. Then he started leaning towards the brush because he wanted to get brushed more. He-he. :) I wish I would have had my camera with me!! :)

You could always try using a damp cloth, run it over him a few times. Once youve done that use a soft brush on him. This should take the dust out. The cloth has to be damp though not wet. It also helps if you have a long bristled dandy brush. This flicks the muck out of the coat. Hope this helps!

Originally posted by CrazyfurAnimals
I was brushing his neck after a hard ride (he was riddin before me too, so he was pretty tired by now) and all of a sudden he just stuck his lip up, and lifted his head in air. Then he started leaning towards the brush because he wanted to get brushed more

Sounds like he pulled the Flehemn (sp?) responce on you (means he was enjoying it). My old horse always used to do that when I brushed him in the right spot, except he'd always look back at me and do it! :p Aww, it was funny, I wish I had a picture of him doing that!!

I know the problem. They're always dusty no matter how much you brush them! ;) What I do is brush them once over quickly to see what area all the dust is concentrated too, then I focus on that area and give him a good currying and brush in short, upward flicks (make sure you clean you brush with the curry comb in between each brush on the body to rid all the loose dirt). Then after, once over the entire body with a soft brush. Don't worry about getting ALL the dust out. Do as much as you can.

Maci :)

Last edited:
I spend an hour a day grooming my pony and the dirt and hair stills comes out. I do find that he is cleaner when turned out on good pasture (no mud) than when he is in the stable.

I always finish my groom by towelling. It doesn't pull anymore hairs out but removes those on the surface and the dust.

Thank you!!!! :) All the replies helped out a lot! Now that I think of it, I haven't been cleaning off the brushes. We don't have a metal curry comb at my barn, but would it be okay to use a rubber curry comb to try to get it off???

Although using a curry comb would help to get dirt and grime out of your brushes, the best thing to do is clean them using water and some special brush cleaning liquid. I can't think of the name of the product that I use but it works really well. You can probably find it in your local tack/ saddlery store.

CrazyfurAnimals

A rubber curry comb would be fine! That's what I use. I brush, swip clean across the c.comb, brush, swip clean across the c.comb, etc.

A few days a month, I take all my brushes home, and wash them in mild soap and warm water to really get the dirt out (especially when they're REALLY dusty). Let them air dry bristles down.

Maci :)

Thank you!! :) I can't believe I've never swiped the brushes clean. Usually I'll brush the whole horse, and then smack the brush with my hand. Hmmmm......I'm sure this is going to help out a LOT!!!!

Thanks again!!! :)

newrider.com