Ground work exercises books?

Befnee's Hero

Jul 1, 2009
Somerset
Just in case I get out of the exhausted flump stage of pregnancy anytime soon I would like to work with my horses from the ground this winter/ early spring..as I'll either be too big to get on, or have baby.

Can anyone recommend any good ground work execises book for me to read through, and try some things with my boys later on in the winter? I'm not particularly into natural horsemanship, but I am open to any techniques so not biased. Would just be nice (at least this is the theory) to keep my boys working from the ground, and try and keep them supple and listening.

I also use the 101 horsemanship exercises.

I found Kelly Marks 'Perfect Manners' really useful in showing how to long line and other groundwork stuff. It is 'IH' but common sense really. This book helped me enormously when I was first trying to remind Izzy of his manners and get him listening to me from the ground. Written in a simple way with good examples and pictures.

Other things to do without a book from the ground are despooking. You can just let your imagination run wild with that. We have a lot of fun with weird and wonderful things.

I recently got a copy of the 101 book myself on recommendations in the forums and I'm loving it. We're still in the beginning of the book, but it's giving me a lot of great ideas and it's fun going through the exercises with my pony. I'm a newb, so I love all the info on why my horse is doing what he's doing and how to work with that.

haha so I'm sensing a trend with 101 horsemanship exercises!

I have 101 showing jumping, schooling and dressage exercises and loved those so think I will definitely give this a go Thanks.

This one is very good! I've recently bought it and am starting some of the exercises with my boy. I know a few people who use this who really rate it!

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Schooling-Exercises-Hand-Suppleness-Confidence/dp/3861279649

I have that book too. It's not bad but it's got a lot more text rather than exercises. That can be good for some people but I prefer the layout of the exercises in 101. It's simple but great.

But if you are after another book schooling exercises is quiet good.

newrider.com