Growing veggies

Luckily we don't have rabbits to contend with :)

Slugs on spuds, what does that look like? I dug up twice as many as in my picture but threw a lot away as they had little holes into them, I assume that was the blite?

No. If theyve got holes thats likely to be slugs. If the potatoes look normal appart from holes you can use them you just need to cut the potato and pare out the hole wth a knife.

With blight you either get nothing or they look like they are going rotten or scabby on the outside.

Reactions: Jessey
Good to know, I will definitely be putting copper tape down around the young plants next year to keep the slugs and snails out, but it was too late before I heard about it this year.

Havent been on the garden for a few days. The weeds are growing well.

Thought id have a little scratch round on the white spuds, a couple of the plants leaves are looking wilted this week. Uncovered a big spud near the surface so decided to go for it and dig a root.
I think there ready. Shant buy any spuds now for a bit. I will be digging.

IMG_20200801_145306.jpg

Slightly disappointing as they are slugged. But the holes arent too deep. Picture for @Jessey, did your holes look like this.

IMG_20200801_145344.jpg

Reactions: Jessey
Luckily we don't have rabbits to contend with :)

Slugs on spuds, what does that look like? I dug up twice as many as in my picture but threw a lot away as they had little holes into them, I assume that was the blite?

Holes in spuds could also be wireworms too. ?

Reactions: Trewsers
Mine have grown like mad this week cos i havent had time to check on the veg plot. I found a recipe for courgette pancakes so im experimenting fir my lunch today. I could do fritters but not in the mood for cooking them.

Weird or what.

Yeah really weird. I saw one similar last year when digging. They must spend a lot of time either semi underground or at the base of plants out there. The eggs were so vibrant in real life though, and it took a few looks to realise they were stuck on it's body and not part of it's colouring.

Visiting back here, I was really pleased with my veggie crop this year, but I want to do more next year, I’ve learnt lots and am going to up my game. I’m going to clear a new plot that isn’t in full sun for every daylight hour (will still get 10+ hours a day) to try and reduce how much watering I have to do and make what I do easier as I can get a hose from my well/tank.

Anyone done straw bale veggies? Any tips?

Reactions: Trewsers
newrider.com