Gutted and Upset

B

Black Beastie

Well a fantastic day just turned into another nightmare and has just ruined my summer :(

Went to the beach today travelled there fabulous got there she was fab just takced up and straight onto the beach :D

Went right in up past her knees for a paddle and was splashing like crazy, very proud of her as water is her scary thing lol.

Set off along the beach walks and trots my friends horse had never been to the beach so he was bouncing and so was she. Warmed them up then set off at a trot then a canter then got past the first few wee river things hit a nice long bit and WEEEEEEEEE :D :tongue: :dance: Terminal velocity!!!! It was fabulous took my breath away, never had her go this fast not even at the rideout last year :D

Well she kept up with Dezi who is an ex-racer (he was a mile-r) so she did well although sh tired quicker than he did but did sooo well, came back nicely in my hand then Suzi stopped Dezi. We walked back for a bit then cantered nicley back the river bit crossed then had to go further up the beach to avoid some people with a windbreak and kids as Dezi was getting funny about them, came to one of the drain pipes and she wasnt liking it kept backing up staring then bang, her right hind disappeared, right through a rusty drain cover :cry:

She freaked and pulled it back out ripping off the shoe and pairing her leg, the same leg she hurt last year. Here it is at the vets

DSCF3001.jpg

DSCF3002.jpg

So here we go again. :cry: I am honestly not worthy of her if this is what is happening everytime we hit a good patch :(

That looks nasty. (((((((((((((((healing vibes)))))))))))))))))

What a horrible end to a lovely day out, as you say.

Oh crap, poor pony! How long do the vets reckon she'll be off?

How dangerous to have rusty covers where horses go! I'd definitely report this to the council/whoever runs the beach so they can get the place safety checked.

That looks nasty, poor girl. I'm sorry your day ended like that after she was being so good. Healing vibes that she'll recover fast. <3

I'll echo the advice of others there; definately get that reported to the council, they have a duty of care to replace anything like that.

Don't beat yourself up it looks nasty but its not your fault it could happen to anybody. Healing vibes your way.

TBF on the council it was an area that normally you wouldnt go near with a horse and had i actually seen it I would have been more careful, we just had to go there because of dogs, kids and windbreaks that were horse eating doncha know ;).

I will report it to get it fixed but its not something i will be pursuing, its no-ones fault that it was covered in sand :(

Vets have not given me a timescale on her, they will have to wait to see how it reacts and how it holds the stitches :(

Oh crud, that looks nasty. Similar thing happened to us a few weeks ago - we had a fab day out and 5 minutes from home I was driving along with a big grin thinking how well we'd done and then Rafi had an accident in the trailer which completely ruined the day.

This really wasn't your fault though, just damned bad luck. Healing vibes and fingers crossed she makes a speedy recovery x

Oo ouchh! Poor pOny that looks sore :( lots of healing vibes coming your way! At least before that you had a fab outing on the beach! Hope it heals well and pony is feeling alot better soon!

Ouchie!! So sorry it all went t*ts up for you today and that she heals quickly and without incident. xxx

Such a shame to end a lovely time at the beach like that :( but sometimes injuries like that heal a lot better and faster than you think, let's hope so. And it sounds like she was really well behaved too. Hope you get back to the beach before the summer is over.

You are totally worthy of her! There is no way that is anyones fault, least of all yours. You cannot possibly have known there was a drain cover under the sand, but TBH, it should have been strong enough to withstand a horses hind leg on it. If it hadn't been so weak and rusty,it wouldn't have mattered that she stepped onit. They are meant to be able to be driven over by lorries!

I hope she heals well - you got her to the vet quickly, it looks clean, and at least it was towards the front of the leg, not further back amongst the tendons :eek:

newrider.com