Gypsy Cob / Vanner Cob ???

Id like to know if puzzle is light/med/heavy weight i dont get it, i've been told he's medium, i very much doubt hes light weight but he could be heavy weight but hes not like a shire as in heavy i dont know how its measured.

DR3.jpg

Photo-0482.jpg

this is him turned out but by goodness hes not this fat anymore!!!!!

Photo-0113-1.jpg

Photo-0128-1.jpg

sorry about the size of images :)

Last edited:
I think you're a bit off the mark when you say they are just a 'made up' breed.

The (coloured) horses which went first to America were sourced from some of the oldest established gypsy/traveller families in Britain, who have been breeding these horses for generations, and know pedigrees off by heart.

<snip>

Many of the waggon horses are between 13.2 and 14.2 hh, and they manage the job very well.

Some of the American buyers came over to England to visit the horse fairs with the gypsy breeders who were their 'advisors' on their route into coloured cobs. Studs were visited and the buyers went away with some of the best examples of the types that their big money could buy.

Horses such as 'Galway Warrior' and 'Drummer' (one of the English queen's parade horses) went to America to start stud work there and, being America, the prices for stud fees and young stock rocketed to heights previously only dreamt of.

I don't see why you'd refer to these types as 'made up breeds' when you have such oddities as Tennessee Walking Horses and American Saddle Horses (the conformational differences between which are a mystery to me), not to mention the American Shetland Pony..........all nice in their own right, but no less bred for purpose than some lines of gypsy cobs.

I think the reason people call these 'made-up breeds' is that for hundreds of years they weren't breeds at all, they were types. It is only very recently that they have become breeds. And, maybe I'm cynical, but I wonder how far these 'handed-down' pedigrees are made up to enhance the value of a good-looking horse ...

And I don't think the Queen ever had a horse called Drummer - drum-horse is a job, not a breed. They're big, strong, sensible horses that carry the drums in parades, generally Shire or Clydesdale crosses. But they've become a breed now too - in Colorado!

http://www.gypsyhorses.com/drum.htm

thats quite hilarious really! very confusing type/breed etc lol is should be made legal to have at least last 3 parentages. but even that wouldnt be enough.

I think the reason people call these 'made-up breeds' is that for hundreds of years they weren't breeds at all, they were types. It is only very recently that they have become breeds. And, maybe I'm cynical, but I wonder how far these 'handed-down' pedigrees are made up to enhance the value of a good-looking horse ...

Mm, I wonder that too. It's just very odd that these horses didnt' really seem to exist as such, and then suddenly as America became interested in them there's all these wonderful pedigrees and amazing breeding. I kind of wished I'd bought some coloureds at a sale, muscled them up then sent them off to America for thousands of dollars!

Id like to know if puzzle is light/med/heavy weight i dont get it, i've been told he's medium, i very much doubt hes light weight but he could be heavy weight but hes not like a shire as in heavy i dont know how its measured.

It's measured by the circumference of the bone below the knee:

http://www.colouredcontacts.co.uk/varioustypesofcolouredhorsesandponies.php

If you scroll down to Show Cobs, it tells you this:

"Show Cobs must be registered as lightweight (minimum of 8½” bone), heavyweight (minimum of 9” bone) or Maxi Cob exceeding 155 cms".

There's a lot of useful information on that site (I'm prejudiced in its favour as they're the people who sold my Barney to his last owner!).

Your Puzzle is lovely, but I agree, he does look more medium than heavyweight. But it's not an exact thing.

newrider.com