Gypsy Vanners and Cobs

No_Angel

Apr 20, 2003
Ireland
Bit if a discussion here, are Gypsy Vanners the same as Coloured Cobs, or are they a breed in their own right?

In my opinion they are the same thing, it's just the Americans coming up with a flashy name for them.

I always thought they were different.

A coloured cob is more generic - in that it's any cob-like horse that is skewbald or piebald.

Whereas a Gypsy Vanner, although I'm not sure it's a breed and mistake me if I'm wrong, has to be a certain height (over 14.2 or something) and have lots of feather in order to make it a recognised Gypsy Vanner? :unsure:

Again, I'm not sure but that's what I always though! Not sure it's got much, if anything, to do with Americans coming up with a new fancy name for it as Gypsy Vanners have been around for yonks. Unlike the yanks!

My youngster is a cob.

Daddy is registered as a traditional coloured cob which is also known as a gypsy vanner. If i say she's a vanner x cob people look puzzled so i just say cob, then someone said is she an irish cob.

Mummy was bought from travellers which i believe are different from a gypsy

They are not a breed as such more of a type, there is a society to get these horses recognised as a breed in their own right. Shows will offer lw, mw and hw cob as opposed to the breed.

http://www.traditionalgypsycobassociation.com/
there is this

Last edited:
I am always getting asked if Oscar is a Gypsy Vanner,

IMG_6168.jpg

IMG_4755.jpg

what do you think :unsure:

Depends on who the parents are, is one or both CHAPS registered or BSPS registered?

Don't know if that actually makes a difference tbh! but as mine is i know who dad is and he's a traditional/vanner.

I would think looking at the website that if both his parents are coloured cobs and registered as 'Gypsy Vanners' with the Gypsy Vanner society then he would be classed as a 'Gypsy Vanner', but basically he is a coloured cob as they are the same thing in my opinion.

Bit if a discussion here, are Gypsy Vanners the same as Coloured Cobs, or are they a breed in their own right?

In my opinion they are the same thing, it's just the Americans coming up with a flashy name for them.

I thought they were one and the same to be honest but agree with the points about them being more "traditional.."

It does seem to be an American thing, when I was over there they seemed to know what I was talking about when I said Gypsy Vanner and if you think we pay silly prices for cobs I reckon, should my OH have been based out there longer I could have flown my mare out put her in foal and then sold it and it would have probably covered her and my airfare a few times over... :wink:

I seem to remember reading in the past that a Gypsy Vanner needs to have feather front and back of the leg and extending up the leg to be anything decent.

Might be wrong though :redface:

Izzy's dam was rescued from a Gypsy camp when she was in foal. So he is a Gypsy horse but doubt is the posh Vanner type!:wink:

I thought the term 'Gypsy Vanners' was just a clever marketing ploy to part Americans with their cash for a cob.

Here is Izzy, the first pic is when he was fat and still at the rescue, about July 2009. The other is last summer.

Attachments

• Fatlunging.jpg
    Fatlunging.jpg
    39 KB · Views: 22
  • Giggling.jpg
    Giggling.jpg
    39.8 KB · Views: 21
No the word vanner has been around for years, it depends on the size according the website i've seen. They are one of the same but think it's height that determines it, or vanner just sounds posh and gets more money.

The thing is a cob is a horse we don't know what the breed actually is, i'm not about to say i have a traditional cob x and then say she's crossed with a cob. She's the spitting image of mum, but mum could be welsh d, fell or one of the heavier natives. If i knew i'd say that, as i don't i just say i dunno cob.

She's not coloured either which was expected to be just to confuse it more being registered with the BSPS, i can't show her in a coloured class when she's solid can I:unsure:

http://id3467.securedata.net/emeraldwinds/myths.htm
according to this it is the same breed/type of horse

Last edited:
Think the clue should be in the name - Vanner

They have been bred specifically over the years - a workhorse, small version of the Shire to pull their Caravans, the more colour , mane, tail and feather the better - a pleasant site on the eye compared to the pickup truck with a big shiney gawdy van on the back of it - but suppose they wouldn't be very practical nowadays.

I have a traditional cob mare, but shes lightweight, plenty of mane and tail , plenty of feather but not enough feather if you compare to some of the heavy boned true hairies- big enough to pull a van at 13.3hh, plenty of colour but in the true sense of what I would expect a Gypsy vanner to be then don't think she would fully fit the spec, maybe has some vanner line in her somewhere but as no breeding records then she is prob the same as many others - just an honest well mannered coloured hairy cob with plenty of get up and go.

Vanners originally were horses that pulled vans, simple as that. They were usually plain to look at and usually solid coloured too. The average height was between 15hh and 16hh and they were basically work horses.

The gypsies first started breeding and using coloured horses because the army wouldn't take coloureds off them. Hence the coloured 'gypsy vanner' came into being.

A cob was always more upmarket than a vanner in the time when a vanner was still a work horse.

The differences between them has blurred with the passing of the years.

newrider.com