Haas brushes

I think it depends on the horse. Little Un was very sensitive and hated being groomed with almost anything - didn't mind a sheepskin mitt but that's of limited use when he loved rolling - but this he was fine with. I've lent it to friends with fine skinned horses too and no-one has had a problem, but then Jim who loved scratches and firm massages didn't like it!

Reactions: Jessey
My Haas brushes bought in 2016 are,
the very soft one
HAAS Lippizaner Women Ladies - Wood
Quantity: 1
Total: £25.00

the firmer one, like a body brush.
HAAS Schimmel Ladies - Silver
Quantity: 1
Total: £9.99

Ladies refers to the hand size of the groomer, I think. You could always borrow my grooming box next time we come to near you. The reason I got these brushes was that when I was working on the yard, I was known for grooming and did a lot of grooming. There were posh horses who came to our yard for box rest and they sometimes came with lovely traditional English grooming brushes.

There is a disadvantage to real hair brushes though. I put my brushes away dirty during the early Covid lock down and when I re-opened the box, it was infested by moth. Because some Haas brushes were made from real horse hair I suspect. My serious grooming days came to an end with Covid. because I had to social distance and all clients have to keep outside on that yard.

To be fair £25 for a good quality brush isn't bad, I have one I bought probably 15+ years ago that I paid more than that for - goat hair fastened into a wood back with leather covering and handle - that I paid around that for - and while the name has worn off and the handle isn't great now the brush itself is still going strong. That said I never shelled out for sets, I just bought what I'd use. Another brush that stood the test of time well was a Borstiq one that has long soft flicky bristles, but I can't remember what I paid for it.

What I don't understand with the Haas brushes is the different sets for different coat colours. I don't think I've seen this is any other make, surely a brush is a brush?

Reactions: Jessey
Yes I have some lovely ones that are now very old, a stuben leather backed horse hair one that’s still great, and a lovely goat hair one, so I’m loathe to replace with something similar unless it’s much better.
I don’t so much mind the individual brush price for a good brush, but when they suggest you need 4 to get the best effect the cost adds up, or more when you have several different colour neds.

Reactions: carthorse
It sounds like a good sales pitch to me!
I think it is a sales gimmick too. And also it is very confusing. If I had not been on forums and riding the Iberian Grace, I would not have bought my Haas brusheds.
I understand the oddness of selling according to the colour of the horse. A grey like Maisie or Grace will never shine, so one doesnt need to polish her as I might polish Ella who is very dark.
May be I should make it clear that I use Ossler brushes but I never bought a set of them. In my very early days of riding, I wanted grooming things. I found the web sites confusing so I rang up Rideaway and the lady who answered the phone owned a horse. We went through the items I would need for BHS stage 1 and I asked her to send me the ones she herself used. Then the RS gave me two lessons in grooming and picking up feet.

I have still never used the hoof brush and oil.

newrider.com