Hackamores

raeychelle

Hi, I'm new to this board, and I wondered if anyone has used a mechanical hackamore with their horse while trail riding. I bought a horse several months ago that has been trained on the hackamore and I am having trouble stopping him. I have heard that you must have sensitive hands when using this type of bridle but Rebel (my horse) seems to ignore many of my requests to slow down and stop. He is an 11 year old arabian gelding.

I don't know very much about them, besides that you need to have kind hands to use them, but here's my advice.

When you slow him down, squeeze your seat and thigh muscles, and squeeze, release, squeeze, release, etc. alternately on the riens. But when you do this, make sure you don't actually pull back, you're just tightening and slackening contact, alternately.

Sorry to be no further help! It's worth a try, good luck!

Maci :)

Maci, I have used hackamores for years on my horses. I use a braided hackamore with 8 inch shankes. They are wonderful for beginner riders who don't know how to use there hands correctly. In order for the hackamore to work correctly, the curb chain must be adjusted so that the shanks stay almost straight when not in use just like a western bit. You can use the hackamore with one or both hands. Try using the hackermore in an enclosed area before riding on trail. If your horse is on the aids it will respond well. If the horse braces it's nose into the hackamore or raises it head above the bridle it will be hard to stop the horse. First thing is not to let the horse out of control in the first place. Do not let the horse ride any faster than you can handle. Start slowly in the walk. Use 2 hands & acquire the amount of contact you need to feel the horses nose. Make sure the hackamore is on the nose correctly. To low or to high placement with cause you problems. To tight or to loose a curb chain is a problem also. If the horse gets to fast say whoa, get it to respond to your voice & start again. If you pull too hard the horse will only pull against you. You must learn to half halt by squeezing the reins with your fingers to get the horse to respond to you commands just as if you were using a bit. If you can't do this on your own, find an instructor who knows about hackamores to help you.

A Hackamore is one of the more severe of the bitless bridles.

There are lots more kinder ones out there.

question to Wally

When you said that the hackamore is severe, in what sense? What does it actually do to the horse that is severe? And in what sense are other ones kinder?

I began this thread because I have purchased a horse that has been trained with a hackamore. I have found it difficult to get information about it. I wonder though, if it is severe, why then is it difficult to get your horse to stop? One would think that a severe form of control would not have the effect of making one lose control of the horse.

I would appreciate it if you would explain your comments to me. Thank you very much

Hackmores can be very severe they can break a horse's nose. On certain ones a lump is left, even on some famous horses.
I would NEVER recommend a beginner to use one. I'm suprised to hear a horse can be hard to stop, as they are effective at stopping a strong horse. Maybe your horse has lost the senstation in that area. I used to ride my horse in one and it took very little to stop him. I found it was to strong for my liking. I have light hands but I did not like it. The shanks are very long, which mean there is a strong curb action together with the squeezing of the nose and curb chain.
I know ride my horse in a milder bitless bridle which he prefers. There are many options. You could try the gentle touch bitless bridle which is available at www.htsequestrian.com
Have you tried a bit, he may have a soft mouth. I'd always prefer using a bitless bridle. Have you had his back, saddle and teeth checked? Schooling will help so you can push him forward so he can't pulll against you.:D

Originally posted by Silver horse
Hackmores can be very severe they can break a horse's nose. On certain ones a lump is left.

My instructor uses a hackamore sometimes for her horse Thomas, he has a lump on his nose, could the hackamore have done this?? She is a very experienced rider, she has been riding for about 30+ years, does that matter?:confused:

Its hard to say without knowing hw she rides. Even the best riders have faults, perhaps she over uses her hands to get an outline.
The best think would be to use your own judgement, for example if you think she's putting to much emphasis on pulling in the head, then don't do it. Focus on yourself, just don't trust her own judgement, there are plenty of good instructors out there to suit you.
On the other hand it may have been done in the past, by some other heavy handed rider. The horse may have injured himself ect.
As said before, take note on how she rides and teaches, then decide. 30 years experience doesn't always she knows the best. I've been in a similar position when I realised this, I took the instructors commands thinking she knew the best, but found out later it wasn't the best way.

I am not sure how long she has had Thomas. She doesn't use the hackamore very often, she uses a Myler bit, or a double bridle. She doesn't use her hands very strongly. She only uses the hackamore out hacking. But do you think that she is still to blame?? :confused:

I really don't know. In my experience of using one it doesn't take much for it to be strong. You only have squeeze your fingers gently for the horse's head to come in. This is why I don't use one, as I constantly worry that its to strong. My horse goes well in it, but he goes well in others also.
If your worried ask her how he did it. Its possible she may have done it or someone else. Probably long term use would make a lump, as the skin thickens. But again I don't know how much.

Thanks anyway Silver horse, it's quite a big looking lump, where the hackamore would sit, thats why I am a bit concerned. :(

Is there anyone you could speak to? If its in the same place as the hackamore, then it is probably due to it. I'm suprised that its used out on hacks, could it be that the horse is to strong, pulls ect.?
Its not doing the poor horse any favours!

My instructors nice though.......:( What do you think I should do?? Do you think I should ask anyone about Thomas??

Help I am worried now:(

Last edited by a moderator:
Don't worry to much. The only thing you can do is ask about whats caused the lump. You could mention you know that hackamores can cause it and see what they say.
If the hackamore is causing the problem then I wouldn't be very impressed with this riding school. Take a look at the other horses to see if there is any other lack of attention.

I don't want to upset her:( Do you think I should ask someone who might know about him? The other horses at the stable are fine, they are all well looked after. Oh I am so confused:(

It is extremely important that you have the Hackamore positions correctly as they can sometimes stop a horse breathing if too low. Or as said, break a horses nose.:(

I know, but I just hope that it isn't anything to do with the hackamore, or myinstructor....:(

Wrong Usage

Some people who ride with hackamores (not saying that your instructor is, Elfin) think that just because a bit isn't in the mouth, that it gives them an excuse to ride hard-handed. Not at all the case!

Maci :)

newrider.com