Hacking advice??

G

ive had my ISH for 6 weeks now and I'm wanting some advice on hacking him alone as he is very spooky & nappy. He will go out alone, but every so often he will plant his feet and try and spin, often threatening a little buck or mini rear. My dog also spooked him yesterday and he bolted quite badly. He's fine in traffic and will hack in company, usually okay but still lacking confidence. Should I avoid hacking alone completely until he's totally confident in company? Or would avoiding it completely making him worse?? Advice appreciated!!

I wouldnt avoid it completely but perhaps start by taking him in hand, then with a foot soldier and when he's confident with that have the foot soldier follow him rather than be in front, eventually try going it completely alone. All through that work on building his trust/confidence in you in all situations :)

I wouldnt avoid it completely but perhaps start by taking him in hand, then with a foot soldier and when he's confident with that have the foot soldier follow him rather than be in front, eventually try going it completely alone. All through that work on building his trust/confidence in you in all situations :)
Thank you for your advice. Would you suggest taking him in hand straight away from the farm? Or riding him until he loses confidence and get off and lead him? Then get back on once he settles again?

I don't like to push them until they fail, I believe that destroys anyones confidence, human or horse.

I want them to be successful every time I work with them so tend to ask very small questions initially, perhaps after schooling just walk to the gate and back while cooling off, when he can do that without flinching gradually build on it from there, always set a target in your mind so you don't get carried away and push it, so perhaps your next step will be the 2nd lamp post down the road. If you do ask too much and he wimps out ;) don't ever stop, just quietly get him to relax, then go a few more steps/meters/fields before turning back, he must never associate the bad behaviour with getting to go home :)
You can help him gain confidence in company by changing his position in the group, at the back he's a follower who just does what the others do, if you bring him to the front he's then got to put his big boy pants on and be the leader which will help set him up for when he's solo :) its nice in a group as he can start out with leading for 10 seconds before dropping back and letting him absorb it for a few minutes, then go up front again for a little bit longer and so on until he can lead all the way without wobbling :)

I don't like to push them until they fail, I believe that destroys anyones confidence, human or horse.

I want them to be successful every time I work with them so tend to ask very small questions initially, perhaps after schooling just walk to the gate and back while cooling off, when he can do that without flinching gradually build on it from there, always set a target in your mind so you don't get carried away and push it, so perhaps your next step will be the 2nd lamp post down the road. If you do ask too much and he wimps out ;) don't ever stop, just quietly get him to relax, then go a few more steps/meters/fields before turning back, he must never associate the bad behaviour with getting to go home :)
You can help him gain confidence in company by changing his position in the group, at the back he's a follower who just does what the others do, if you bring him to the front he's then got to put his big boy pants on and be the leader which will help set him up for when he's solo :) its nice in a group as he can start out with leading for 10 seconds before dropping back and letting him absorb it for a few minutes, then go up front again for a little bit longer and so on until he can lead all the way without wobbling :)
That's great advice thank you. I will try walking him a short distance after schooling today.

Reactions: Jessey
newrider.com