hacking alone - age limit?

abbiegirl

Abbie and Anny
Jul 14, 2006
wrexham, north wales
following on from the thread "11 year old boy hacking alone" i was wandering if ther is some sort of law on the age limit for children to hack out on their own?:confused: if not, do you think there should be?

I think it would be hard to say as I know some 10 year olds who are far more responsible than some 16/17 year old counterparts and equally I know some 10 year old who I wouldnt dream of seeing them unaccompanied.

If there should be an age limit for hacking alone (not saying that I believe there should be though.) should there also be an ability limit?! :rolleyes: :p

Personally for the age, at least into double figures. As for ability, enough to maintain control of whatever they're riding and to act on situations that may arise. :)

I don’t really think it’s a matter of age—more the responsibility and experience of the rider! ;)
As long as they have a phone, they know what to do in emergencies etc, then they should be allowed.
Don't know of any law for children riding, except that under 14's HAVE to wear a riding hat, but thats it! xxx

I think it would be hard to say as I know some 10 year olds who are far more responsible than some 16/17 year old counterparts and equally I know some 10 year old who I wouldnt dream of seeing them unaccompanied.

If there should be an age limit for hacking alone (not saying that I believe there should be though.) should there also be an ability limit?! :rolleyes: :p

Personally for the age, at least into double figures. As for ability, enough to maintain control of whatever they're riding and to act on situations that may arise. :)

i definately agree with the ability limit too. :)

Don't know of any law for children riding, except that under 14's HAVE to wear a riding hat, but thats it! xxx

Under 14's only have to wear a hat ON THE ROAD.

Also don't forget that many children take the pony club riding and road safety test, or at least they should.

(I am hopefully going on my first ever solo hack this evening, I'm 23... I have never had a horse that I could hack solo before, or indeed actually been able to take on the road.)

I have just passed my riding & road safety in connection with the pony club. (I am almost 16). It has definitely taught me a lot about riding on the road and dealing with lots of situations. Even basic stuff that people don't think about - it all comes down to safety.

Speaking to my friend who is a R & RS examiner in partnership with the BHS, she was telling me how the BHS are considering making it compulsory for all riders to take the R & RS exam before they are even allowed onto the road. I think this would be a good idea and something people need to be more aware about and also greatly consider.

:D

It's all good and well saying there's the Road Safety and Riding test, but I've been trying to take it for the last 5 years and it hasn't run yet! :mad:

I agree that it depends on the combination of horse and rider, but it doesn't mean those combinations wont run into trouble. Rode out a week ago with a bombproof mare and her confident young rider, and about 10 minutes into the hack the rider was a nervous wreck on Daffy, and I was on the mare.

DD, REALLY? I'm surprised! In my area R & RS exams run very frequently and for me it was no trouble atall to get a place on a course just round the corner from my yard. But then I guess I have the advantage aswell as being in the PC
x

In my opinion, age is just a number we're given as a necessity when we're born.
It all comes down to responsibility, experience and capability. All of which can not be measured the same for each and every person that would be riding on the roads. Or riding in any situation for that matter.
The temperament of the horse would also come into consideration, and as we all know how unpredictable horses can be given the chance, that's another factor that couldn't be measured in a fair way for every horse.

Under 14's only have to wear a hat ON THE ROAD.

Also don't forget that many children take the pony club riding and road safety test, or at least they should.

(I am hopefully going on my first ever solo hack this evening, I'm 23... I have never had a horse that I could hack solo before, or indeed actually been able to take on the road.)

Hah, i wish i could! and i wouldn't bet on it that kids do, either :-S

DD, REALLY? I'm surprised! In my area R & RS exams run very frequently and for me it was no trouble atall to get a place on a course just round the corner from my yard. But then I guess I have the advantage aswell as being in the PC
x

There's only been one local club offering it (and perhaps one riding school that's a pain to get to) and I was always the only person interested, so it never ran.

Never got to join the pc, and decided I'm not starting at 19.

many children take the pony club riding and road safety test

Yes, but by passing the test doesn't mean that they're going to ride in that standard every single time they hack out.
I think the most important thing about hacking alone, would be that if there were to be an accident, and the rider got K/O, it could be several hours before help arrived which could be too late in some cases. This is something that is very personal to me, which is why I feel so strongly about it.

Last edited:
Yes, but by passing the test doesn't mean that they're going to ride in that standard every single time they hack out.

But the same could be said of many things, I don't drive my car in the fashion that I did in my driving test or ride my bike as I did in my cycling proficieny (ok, I failed that the 1st time)

But, if it help instil a little bit of common sence or extra knowledge or extra though, it can't be bad!

I don’t really think it’s a matter of age—more the responsibility and experience of the rider!

exactally what i was thinking x.fat-pony.x

I am 15 years old and I see myself as sensible and experienced, i hack out alone at least once a week. I always wear a hat, my body protector, my hi-viz tabbard and my chaps which have reflective stars on. The horse i share/ride has become much better over the months (I have only had her for 3 months). And i am glad i have hacked her out alone because we are now at the stage where she doesnt spook at this deer place now :)

I think that some children would definately benefit hacking in company, if their company was an adult or a mature teenager.
I know some girls from my old riding stables who ride in a big group which is good safety wise, however every one of them are immature and irresponsible. (I am not going to go into detail about them though).

I am not too keen on the idea of an age limit on hacking alone. I think a better idea would be for every young rider to take the road and saftey test!

newrider.com