Hacking Alone

well my pony would rear up out hacking alone so whenever he went to rear (I could feel it coming) I would get off and lead him for a while (if there was something scary I would lead him past it, if there wasnt i would just lead for a few mins and then get back on)

If you find he still wont go then take him out lots inhand

let him get to know the area inhand and with other horses - chancer is so much better in places he goes to lots and if he has been there with other horses before he is also better

and do groundwork and stuff to strengthen your bond - sorry if you already do this or have a great bond blah blah blah but I found as i developed a bond with chancer he trusted me more out hacking and so we could go further alone without problems

what does he do? (if that makes sense - does he buck/rear/simply nap/just refuse to move or what?

well my pony would rear up out hacking alone so whenever he went to rear (I could feel it coming) I would get off and lead him for a while (if there was something scary I would lead him past it, if there wasnt i would just lead for a few mins and then get back on)

If you find he still wont go then take him out lots inhand

let him get to know the area inhand and with other horses - chancer is so much better in places he goes to lots and if he has been there with other horses before he is also better

and do groundwork and stuff to strengthen your bond - sorry if you already do this or have a great bond blah blah blah but I found as i developed a bond with chancer he trusted me more out hacking and so we could go further alone without problems

what does he do? (if that makes sense - does he buck/rear/simply nap/just refuse to move or what?

she is our new horse and we took her for a long walk in hand, on a bridleway and she's a little nervous.not had the courage to ride her alone yet. so we'll take your advice and take her round the area more in hand first.

thanks

Tyler was great with other horses but refused to leave the yard if there was even a chance that he would be alone.

We combined in hand walks with having somone stand at the end of the road while I rode him(first of all only a few metres away, building up the distance by the week) and slowly encouraging him to go out of the yard himself. The person at the end of the road had a carrot or something as a reward for him going so far himself. So far we have managed to hack out around 5 times ourselves. He still has his moments, but I usually stop, et him calm down, push him on a bit more then have a supply of polomints to give him en route.

As Tyler had confidence issues it wasn't so much of a disciplinary matter, but a slow confidence buidling process.

I dont know if your horse just won't go out at all like Tyler or if she just isn't overly happy about, but hope that helps in some way.

Jenny and Tyler
s

Started with vol (5yr old) with walks in hand, but before that having confidence in me on the ground.
After walks in hand went to ridden and kept it short and sweet with lots of praise then built up from there.

Did no road work but will combat this in the same manner

i agree my mare doesn't like hacking out alone but will now....today we were out for 3 hours! (ok so we got lost:eek:) i walked some of it and rode some on the way out and rode all the way back. confidence at the end was brimming for both of us

SLOWLY!!

i took on an ex-racehorse years ago that had never been ridden alone! in the beginning i couldn't even ride her around the yard! its just insecurity.

start with little hacks (even if its only 30metres!) repeat till horse is happy then each time get a little further. patience is the key!

when my current mare was first backed, on her first solo hack we made it about 100m. i felt her tense up so just finished on a positive note and headed back. best piece of advice i ever had was from the chap who got her started for me (he backs yearling TBs for racing) he said "don't take her far the first time you hack out alone - you'll scare the living daylights out of her!" i heeded his advice.

2 months later we did a 6 mile round trip to a busy highway!

Ditto all the above! Be brave but do things slowly and at the horse's pace! When we first started Topps solo we just walked out the yard round the buildings and back. If they stop ask ask for a step forwards reward them then turn for home! always end on a good note even if you dont get very far the first few times. At one point he refused point blank to leave the yard but now leads me out loose rein as he WANTS to go out as we have eventually shown him that its fun to go out and he enjoys himself!

I was so pleased with him the other day as the other horses all trotted past him and he was content to stay back and walk quietly with me...we even circled away and he didnt bother! I think he trusts me now but this takes time to build up a bond (blah blah blah lol!) but it is v rewarding and im glad cos he was bullied at one point and the previous rider tried to get him to submit to her which just didnt happen. He started reversing and rearing and she landed on the deck!! I was mad at her as i had previously told her not to lose her temper and just get off and lead him but she had other ideas!! Lets say he won and it took me AGES to get his confidence back up :mad: back to square one and to the lead rein :rolleyes:

Lets face it they are strong 2tonne animals who will not be forced into a situation they are just not comfortable with..why risk it?? Be safe and build on things slowly! GOOD LUCK!!

Being a cautious person..every new horse I get, is lead out in hand for their first solo hacks for a week so that I get to see what their likes and dislikes are before I get on their backs! If its a nervous/young horse I may do it longer than a week, then progress to having rider on and someone walking beside, when we both feel confident we will venture out on our own.
My horses are always more spooky when on their own, and definately need to do it regularly or they seem to loose their confidence again.

I have started Libby with someone walking with us. They started off walking in front and now behind. We dont go far, usally five mins up the hill and then back again with lots of pats and praise along the way.

She is very nervous when on her own so we are taking it slowly

newrider.com