Hacking around fields containing loose horses?

hepsibah

Mar 4, 2008
Guisborough, Cleveland.
We moved to a new yard at the beginning of December with great hacking. Unfortunately all the routes begin with riding past the other livery's turnout paddocks. My young mare ism't used to riding past other horses so is being silly, leaping around and threatening to buck and tank etc. The tracks are about 8-10ft wide with horses on both sides, some of which come galloping over, snorting and squealing.
I'm in a bit of a nervy place at the moment since I was rear-then-buck-and-bronked off a horse onto my head in November and I'm trying to rebuild my confidence so this isn't helping at all. Any advice would be appreciated.

I have 2 routes out of mine, one down a single track with horses on 1 side for 3/4 mile, the other on roads. I found the first 3 or 4 times after I haven't been along in a while they will cause chaos and Jess snorts and leaps but as long as I can keep her walking they only charge over and not along, and after a few times we are far to boring to bother with at all. I'm wary of 1 particular lot because they contributed to the only time I've come off Jess, and 1 of them will still charge the fence and lunge over at us, if he's right there I'll often double back as it's just more effort than I want to put in.

We moved to a new yard at the beginning of December with great hacking. Unfortunately all the routes begin with riding past the other livery's turnout paddocks. My young mare ism't used to riding past other horses so is being silly, leaping around and threatening to buck and tank etc. The tracks are about 8-10ft wide with horses on both sides, some of which come galloping over, snorting and squealing.
I'm in a bit of a nervy place at the moment since I was rear-then-buck-and-bronked off a horse onto my head in November and I'm trying to rebuild my confidence so this isn't helping at all. Any advice would be appreciated.
Could you maybe lead her past? Then once you are clear of them jump on and enjoy? I'm assuming when you get her in you have to lead her past others? If she's fine being led then that's what I would do.

I used to plan my route so I’d come back via the excitable horses. By that time flipo was tired and not so keen to get hyper. I’d maybe consider staying on when coming back eventually, take it in stages, walk both ways to start with and then depending on your horses mood and how you feel, stay on coming home,.

Reactions: Huggy
I'd hop off too... Far better to get off and avoid a battle in all sorts of situations! This is contrary to what we're often told so we don't always think of it even when it's the simplest solution :)

Reactions: Trewsers
newrider.com