Hacking Confidence Issues - Part 2

Ruskii

Jun 21, 2000
UK
As I didnt want to hijack the other thread (Here), just wanted to report that tonight

I DID MY FIRST SOLO HACK !! :D

I've done a few wonderings on my own, but have always had a foot soldier in the form of OH with me up at the yard and follow me on foot.

Tonight I came home, had a sh*t day at work and thought 'I'll do some lunging' got home (OH always comes to yard with me) stated what I was going to do and it ended up I'll go to the yard myself (OH would only be waiting and getting a little bored :eek:) got to the yard, put his bridle on, spied my hard hat and gloves and looked at the gate going out. Had a mad thought 'Why not just go round the block, only 10 mins at a walk - if the worst happens (we pass another horse going the other way and he does something) get off and lead him back'

So I did (hack him out that is) :D

And as I didnt have the saddle (left it at home) I did it all bareback, he got a bit keen when we came round the last corner and started to trot a little but he's that chilled he soon came back to a walk with me chatting to him steadily and asking him to walk, straight away he came back to a walk without any hand / seat aids - what a star :D

When we got back, he got loads of fuss and cuddles - Super Cob :D

Still 90 mins after I've got home I'm still like this :D I'll come back down from Cloud 9 sometime tomorrow ;)

Just had to share, it's only small but hey we all have to start somewhere dont we ? :eek:

Last edited:
Well now you have something to build on, I know just how you feel, my first solo was literally 5 minutes walking round the yard, was on cloud 9 and increased steadily from there. We can now hack anywhere on on our own, though I choose not to go too far, still have to fight the 'what ifs'.

golly bareback, you are brave.. was this on the roads?????

Part of it was on the road, but I didnt give it a second thought thought, how mad am I ? :eek: I only had to do a teeny tiny bit of road work and there is quite wide verges so I was fairly safe, just had to negotiate a herd of donkeys with their youngsters !

(I live in the New Forest ;))

:)well done i still have my oh or my daughter come with me, did a solo once but then moved yards, im in the new forest, where abouts are you? im at beaulieu. i would love to be brave enough to do a solo! one day maybe?

Well done and very brave to do your first solo bareback. I never ride bareback, too slippy. Still now you have done that going out alone with a saddle on should be a doddle.

Well Done!!:D

im finding it difficult myself even with a person on foot:eek:. did you ever feel as if you thought ,"well its a bit windy for a ride today" or "hmmmm it might rain" just to put it aside and not go on a hack. just wondering as i have this problem, i just dont have any motivation!! i even have a cob who i can trust, a bit nappy but its because i doubt sometimes and i know its my fault.

Good on you!!!!!! That's fantastic news and to do it bareback too, that is truly impressive. Wishing you many more happy solo hacks to come.

Thanks peeps :D

Alfiemoon : I'm on the other side of the forest, the hacking round beaulieu way looks lovely though and much more nice and flatter than where I am ! But hill work helps keep my horse working ;)

I'm having to really rein myself in at the moment as I now have my eye on doing a Hunter Trials course next May ! :eek: Starting to look for small logs to 'have a go' at jumping my horse over, never jumped him before :D I'm thinking of trying a 'See what happens' moment, nearly did one today but chickened out and thought I'd do one on my next solo hack...........maybe :eek:

You are very brave. I havent yet hacked out alone. Infact havent hacked at all since my friends horse got injured (3 weeks ago) Am on a huge yard so there should be loads of people to hack out with but I worry that their hacks will be too long/fast and with Sam being so slow I dont want to hold them up!
Am even thinking of getting my husband a bike for his birthday so he can come out with me (havent suggested it yet though!)
Dont really know what my problem is, Samson is safe as houses (if a little bit under confident) and is getting very bored of riding in the school.
I did today go out with the intention of just going up the road and back, but it was too hot! any excuse...

newrider.com