Hacking issues?

G

*** this is linked to my last post regarding a stronger bit for my horse out hacking ***

I've started riding him again in his Wilkie bit with his rubber guards on to stop his mouth splitting. Yesterday I rode him out & after about 30 mins of riding we arrived at a point where we've turned round to go home on previous rides. When we got there, we were going to continue, but he just started turning and napping for home, and every time I asked him to go forward (no hitting etc) he went to mini rear. Ended up having to get off and walk him. After that he was his usual naughty self - little leaps, bucks, pulling my arms out, shooting forward. His teeth have just been done & saddle checked too.

Any ideas? Could it just be too much energy/feed or feeling spring is in the air? I'm reaching the end of my tether with him and the napping has confused me! Help/advice would be greatly appreciated.

orbvalley

Jan 15, 2008
France, South
No advice sadly as I'v got similar problems with my feisty young mare when hacking alone. The best I can offer is perseverance and if possible try not to turn round at the same point all the time otherwise, as you've experienced, the day you want to go a bit further they dig their heels in and will do anything to avoid you getting them past it
There main thing to remember is your safety first no matter how much that impinges your hacking plan, so if getting off and walking him past is safer than staying on so be it
I appreciate how frustrating it is, mine drives me nuts hacking alone too!

G

No advice sadly as I'v got similar problems with my feisty young mare when hacking alone. The best I can offer is perseverance and if possible try not to turn round at the same point all the time otherwise, as you've experienced, the day you want to go a bit further they dig their heels in and will do anything to avoid you getting them past it
There main thing to remember is your safety first no matter how much that impinges your hacking plan, so if getting off and walking him past is safer than staying on so be it

Thanks for your reply. Yes I agree I think turning round in similar places causes problems. The only thing to confuse matters is that I wasn't hacking alone! He was following a horse we ride out with very regularly and just decided to turn around on his own and try and go home! Which is really strange.

Mary Poppins

Oct 10, 2004
Visit site
What is he like to ride in company? Horses can be nervous and nappy hacking, they need time be taught to ride out alone and this comes through lots and lots of repetition, ideally with a more experienced companion. Some enjoy it and become safe solo hacking horses, and some don't. There are no magic shortcuts, you just need to keep doing short and safe hacks and then build up over time.

I would vary the route that you go and avoid any hacks that you turn around and then head for home. Try and do circular hacks if possible. If you have always gone the same way and then turned round and headed for home, it's not surprising that your horse is nappy at that point. You have taught him that you turn round and head for home so that is what he expects to do.

G

What is he like to ride in company? Horses can be nervous and nappy hacking, they need time be taught to ride out alone and this comes through lots and lots of repetition, ideally with a more experienced companion. Some enjoy it and become safe solo hacking horses, and some don't. There are no magic shortcuts, you just need to keep doing short and safe hacks and then build up over time.

I would vary the route that you go and avoid any hacks that you turn around and then head for home. Try and do circular hacks if possible. If you have always gone the same way and then turned round and headed for home, it's not surprising that your horse is nappy at that point. You have taught him that you turn round and head for home so that is what he expects to do.

Ive only had him 6 months and I haven't hacked him alone - this was in company.

orbvalley

Jan 15, 2008
France, South
Mine's spun round & galloped off for home in the company of older, calm experienced horses too, I think you've got the twin of mine!!
If I ever find a cure I'll let you know;)!

Lollykay

Feb 11, 2017
United States

after about 30 mins of riding we arrived at a point where we've turned round to go home on previous rides.

When we got there, we were going to continue, but he just started turning and napping for home, and every time I asked him to go forward (no hitting etc) he went to mini rear. Ended up having to get off and walk him. After that he was his usual naughty self - little leaps, bucks, pulling my arms out, shooting forward. His teeth have just been done & saddle checked too.

Any ideas? Could it just be too much energy/feed or feeling spring is in the air? I'm reaching the end of my tether with him and the napping has confused me! Help/advice would be greatly appreciated.

Your issue is always turning the horse around in the same place. That is a HUGE no-no. Ride fifty feet past the last place your turned around or turn around fifty feet earlier.

That has to be done Every single time a rider wants to turn and head for home, or the described problem is going to happen every time. The worse it gets, the harder it is to break; that's one way bad habits get ingrained in the horse's head:)