Had a lesson this week (long)

diamonddogs

Apr 14, 2008
Badiddlyboing, Odawidaho
I've decided that lessons would be a good idea, and though initially I thought that having them at a riding school (preferably one within hacking distance of my yard) on one of their horses till my confidence returns, then taking Kels along to carry on (hence a school within hacking distance), I decded to give a local freelance instructor a whirl to see what we can do at home.

So our lessons was booked for 5.30 last Thursday evening, and I decided to take the afternoon off work to prepare. I was completely open-minded, prepared to ride or do groundwork, whatever.

Off I go to catch her and bring her in for a good groom and to worm her and that's when the problems started. She was a complete git from the second I got to the field to putting her back after the lesson. Firstly she wouldn't be caught, but eventually came up to me like butter wouldn't melt (this is quite a rare thing with her, but I usually make out I don't care one way or another while walking round her and this generally works). Then she wouldn't lead quitely, spooking at nothing and generally being an @rse. Didn't want to go in the stable but didn't want to be outside in the wind, didn't want to be groomed, wasn't going to have her face brushed, wasn't going to have her feet picked out and DEFINITELY wasn't going to be wormed (Kelly is a horse that uses her size, ie height, to avoid doing things she doesn't want to do - she just sticks her head in the air where she can't be reached). And it's still only 3.30. :eek:

By now, I'd decided that I probably wouldn't be riding, but would play it by ear anyway. The instructor duly arrives and we stand outside the stable chatting about my issues, then we start the lesson, deciding on groundwork. <No, I'm not having my bridle on, thanks all the same>. So after a minor argument, the bridle's on. We did a lot of walking up and down because she was bargy and constantly in my space or planting and refusing to go anywhere, but we eventually got her working well, so we decided to call it a day while we were on the up.

We all walked back to the field, and she starts trying to jog but was easily corrected, but when we got to the gate she nearly exploded. :eek: She was still wearing her bridle - big mistake! She so desperate to get away she's running backwards, threatening to rear, you name it. I somehow got her bridle off, and she turned and galloped flat out back to the herd. I've NEVER see her do that before.

I was mortified - here's my lovely placid horse behaving like a prat right under the instructor's nose (though she sometimes kicks off, has done probably three or four times in the eighteen months I've had her). However she was lovely about it, and said that it was good that she'd seen her at her worst, and if she does have occasions in future where she's a bit dangerous I know now how to get her under control. She also reassured me that compared to some she'd seen in her career with problem horses, this was nothing - at least she hadn't kicked, bitten or reared, and apart from the explosion at the gate she hadn't ever got out of control.

Oh well. Onwards and upwards. And I should say that at no time was I ever scared of her or not confident - my big worry at the gate was that she was going to get away wearing her bridle, and she'd tread on the reins and break her neck or something.

So why can't I have that amount of confidence when I'm riding her???!!!

I think the lessons will be fab for you and Kelly confidence wise. I totally agree with the worry about controlling them while on top rather than being anchored on the ground. I know if I'd been walking my horse the other day when he got a fright from another horse in front then I would have been fine, as it was I ended up in a heap on the ground. :eek:
I'm trying to think about it - I was scared to work with my horse on the ground when I first got him and gradually overcame that fear. Now I just need to transfer it into the saddle. It'll take time but feeling like you're taking positive action towards achieving that goal is confidence building in itself.
Good luck diamonddogs, we'll get there!;)

sounds as though you had fun! Seriously, a good RI makes all the difference, I wouldnt be without mine as she's helped Archie and I so much - I actually find it easier to stay in control of Archie in the saddle more than on the ground, I find that he listens more if I am actually riding him - can be a bit hairy at times though...

Is your RI booked to come back in a weeks time?

No, she's coming the week after (parents' evening :rolleyes:). Meanwhile she's given us lots of homework, including me writing down my goals, what we learned, how we achieved it, and any questions, progress or issues.

She recommended keeping a short diary too, and I can write down achievemnts or setbacks, so when I get disheartened I can look back and see how far we've come.

Yesterday Kels was a bit better, but still didn't want to be caught, but I had lots of time and I only wanted to put her headcollar back on, so I just mooched around the field in a big circle round her acting all nonchalent (as you do) until she came up to me with a "Sorry, did you want me for something?" expression on her face. Imagine her surprise when I put the headcollar on, gave her a polo, patted her and walked off. She just stood staring at me!

Today, she went to walk off, but changed her mind and wandered over, stood quite happily while I clipped the rope on, but wasn't going to follow, but I applied my new found technique for moving a planter (walk in an arc or a zigzag - don't ask me why it works, but it does!) and she came willingly. I gave her a tiny feed with the wormer mixed in, with the welcome addition of a spoonful of treacle, and she ate the lot, and stood perfectly having her face brushed, and only threw her head up once, and even that was very half hearted. And she was back to her normal placid self when we went back to the field, and stayed at the gate for a chat, which she hasn't done since the spring grass came!

The theory is, when I've got her in the position where she'll do exactly as she's told whenever she's asked, I should feel less (and eventually no) anxiety in the saddle. My RI is happy for it to take as long as it takes, no pressure, which, as we all know, is half the battle!

Well I think it sounds like you are making great progress!! The wanting to bolt off at the field gate would have bothered me - our Joe can be like that, and I should imagine it was a bit of a struggle if she was wearing her bridle?! eeek. Sounds like you coped very well - and sounds like your instructor is going to be good too.

Yes, getting the bridle off was a nightmare, since it's a Dr Cooks and I'm still getting the hang of getting it on and off. Normally she'll pop her head through the straps and stand while I do it up, but as I said, she wasn't having any of it. :rolleyes:

Sunday she had a day off and was allowed to be a horse, and I went tonight to check her - and lo and behold! - she was in the front field, about 20 feet from the gate, her normal spot being at the furthest point of the furthest field. I called her, waved a carrot at her, and asked her if it was something she might be interested in, and she came over to fetch it and stood quietly chomping on it while I stroked her face and ears all over. She even let me put a hand lightly over her eye, unheard of! I'm only supposed to do this in a safe area, but I figured that it'd be OK with the gate between us and ten acres to run away in.

Anyway, we stayed and had a natter, and for the first time in ages I left before she did.

Such a good girl. I'm really pleased with her. :D

newrider.com