Hairy Sweaty Horse, Cold Weather, No Clippers.... Help!!

Pale Moon

Mar 31, 2007
I have a Section D cross who goes unbelievably hairy come October. Each year, my yard gives him a blanket clip in the winter, which keeps him comfy and rideable. He is in during the night.

Unfortunately, I was told today by my yard owner that the clippers have broken. She was going to clip my horse tomorrow. She is looking into having them fixed but nothings certain. As I was one of the last ones to be done, I'm unsure as to what will happen if they can't be mended, as she is hardly likely want to buy a brand new pair just to clip my horse. I can't afford to buy any of my own.

It's gone bitterly cold in Blackpool now and I rode my horse inside tonight, only lightly, for about 15 minutes. At the end of the session he was unbelievably sweaty down his neck, in his armpits and his chest, to the extent that the hair was really quite soaking wet. I stuck him under the solarium which did dry him out a bit and towelled the rest of him and put his rugs on but I am quite seriously concerned, as he was in no way bone dry when I put him away. I'm afraid that he will become really chilled very quickly as soon as he cools down and I don't know what to do. Does anyone know how harmful it is to a horse to be rugged up whilst quite badly sweaty in such cold weather.....

I'm going to look into maybe hiring a set of clippers tomorrow from somewhere - unfortunately no-one else at my yard has a set that I can borrow, I've already asked. I'm feeling that until he is clipped he's not going to be able to be ridden - which also puts me in a quandary, as I have two sharers who are likely not to be very happy about being told that they can't ride for the foreseeable until this is sorted, but I can in no way take the risk of my horse becoming ill.

Does anyone have any ideas or knowledge on this???

Thanks.

Rachel

Why are you rugging if he's not clipped?? I wouldn't rug a sweaty horse unless it was a sweatcooler. Find out how much it would be to get a professional clipper in. If you rug when they're hot, they will be more chilled than if cold and wet.

Its only a fleece he's in, not a full on stable rug and I only started putting this on last week, because there was no warmth in the bases of his ears or his armpits.

How much do you think it would cost to get a professional clipper to come?

Well if you are rugging up a wet horse just be very careful you change the rug when he is dry or he will stay wet.

Anyway its about £35 for someone to clip. I think thats what my friend charges.

Hi palemoon happyhorse saddlery, on the back road to Preston, hire out clippers I think it's £7.50 for 2 days and £25.00 for 5 days, we hired them last year and they worked fine:)

Hi palemoon happyhorse saddlery, on the back road to Preston, hire out clippers I think it's £7.50 for 2 days and £25.00 for 5 days, we hired them last year and they worked fine:)

Thank you mate!!! That's brilliant! I'm five mins away from Happy Horse - I'll give them a ring tomorrow!

Cheers - you don't know what a relief that is!!! I was dreading having to tell my hubby that I might have to buy some..... he'd go into orbit!!:)

Glad to help I've just bought my own clippers and didn't tell hubby until after I'd got them!:p:)

I can hire the clippers and get my YO to do it for me - he's best in a blanket clip and I would make an absolute arse of that.....!!! :)

in the meantime until hes clipped, gingerwash is amazing!

you put a tiny bit in a bucket of warm/hot water and wash them down, then stick a rug on, and the ginger is self heating so it keeps them lovely and toasty!

it does look expensive but if you buy the bigger bottle it lasts forever as you only need a tiny bit each time :D
http://www.equineproductsdirect.co....p_param=cid=19&aid=11Warmingslosh%20wash5ltr&

That's great - thanks - where would I get it from?

newrider.com