Half chap reccomendations

Jessey

Dec 20, 2004
Suffolk, UK
I bust the zip on my half chaps last night, my super comfy, glove like ones :( so any recommendations as they don't seem to make those ones any more :(
I need them to be really comfy, close fitting on a curvy leg, waterproof, light enough for summer and thick enough for winter, or perhaps I need to buy one for summer and one for winter?

I cant help on reccomendations since I have always had fat calves:( and finally found fuller fillies that fit good for me
because they come in short sizes..

It is a bummer when you have something you really like and they fit well and then they are not made anymore!!

Reactions: Jessey
OH loves his Mountain Horse ones, I can't remember the actual model / design as they're a few years old. I don't wear half chaps often, but I always thought that the cheaper Shires ones were okay fit wise, and washable too. I think I have some Mountain Horse ones too, they're calf soft leather? Something like that anyway. The main problem I used to have was finding a short version as standard were just that bit too long for my little stumps:D

Tredstep because I have finally found a company that isn't too long and bulky.
It's close fitting.

If you really love them, get the zips repaired?

Tuffa - suede. Last for ever. Not expensive and easy to do up. But it depends on what boots you are wearing and how big they are at the ankle. My big winter boots from Mountain Horse need matching Mountain Horse chaps (also suede) to go over them and they are the devil to do up. OH has matching Ariat short boots and rather posh shiny half chaps - together they look at bit like long, polished boots, but he never does any work on the yard.

Its only the zip tab that went so an old key ring will fix it until I find new ones, but the poppers top and bottom are starting to go too, I lost one already :(

I wear ariat terrain in summer and telluride in winter, not hugely bulky but not slim fitting either.

I'm not sure about synthetic, but open to it. I dont want flash gaiters that look like long boots, I have long boots if I need them.

Off to check out the mountain horse options :)

I have a pair of Dublin chaps that have lasted about eight years or so. Chuck them in the washing machine and they last well. Not had any repairs in that time. Made of synthetic suede. They're not what I would call waterproof but I have a pair of full nylon chaps if I'm out in the rain. And they were cheap!

I've just bought a pair of Saxon equileather chaps/gaitors - I don't wear or use leather if I can avoid it, so these were perfect. For £15, they are suprisingly smart!

I refuse to spend any real money on chaps (or bodywarmers or most outer layers), as Pete's a monkey and is forever playing with or grabbing the poppers/zips so they end up getting replaced on a regular basis :D

Before those, I had a Shires pair which were good - they only died a premature death due to Pete ...! Otherwise, they would have had ages left in them.

I've just bought a pair of Saxon equileather chaps/gaitors - I don't wear or use leather if I can avoid it, so these were perfect. For £15, they are suprisingly smart!

I refuse to spend any real money on chaps (or bodywarmers or most outer layers), as Pete's a monkey and is forever playing with or grabbing the poppers/zips so they end up getting replaced on a regular basis :D

Before those, I had a Shires pair which were good - they only died a premature death due to Pete ...! Otherwise, they would have had ages left in them.

Hehehe Joe used to love zips and buttons too!

I've got some cheapy ones - Shires I think - and some nice leather Mark Todd ones I bought half price in the summer sales. Wear them all the time, love both. Mine are smalls and they fit well on my legs, which I'd describe as ordinary leg size, possibly a bit on the thin side, so I don't know how they'd size up.

newrider.com