Half Chaps

ShadowCat

Dec 30, 2005
Are half chaps OK for a beginner rider to wear or is it better for them to just wear jodhpurs? Also, what exactly are the benefits of wearing half chaps when riding as opposed to just wearing paddock boots?

Last edited:
Half chaps definintly. MUCH, much better than just jodphurs - you end up getting chaffed legs and sitting oddly to releive the discomfort.

Wonderful things chaps and much better than cheap rubber riding boots - very very easy to curl your toes up inside or lift your heels and for it not tobe notices cos the boots don't move.

eeewwww i HATE those nasty black long boots LOL
Defintly a nice pair of jodphurs, short brown boots and brown half chaps, you will look neat then :)

Thanks. I wasn't sure if half chaps would change a beginner's seat or make it harder to have a better leg position.

Normally I ride in half chaps. They protect your legs from the stirrup leathers. But lately it has been so hot the yard staff have been hacking just in jods and I've done the same. It was fine.

Whether it is comfy or not will depend on your shape and the horse and the stirrup leathers and saddle. And how tightly you grip the horse with your legs, I suppose. But I wouldnt say it was a necessity to wear them in this heat wave. One person round here I noticed just with full chaps over her shorts.

I used to wear the long rubber riding boots until they started disagreeing with me,always got my feet entangled in the lining lol,and could never pull the things off my feet........my partner was my foot puller.

So decided I would try the half chaps,never looked back since....even dumped the rubber boots in the refuse bin....cant be doin with those again.

Can my move my legs,feet more freely now :D

I have worn jod boots and half chaps from day one (mainly cos my legs are to fat) but they are a must in my opinion.

when we were first learning, sis and i always had the long rubber riding boots. Robinsons actually do some decent long rubber boots. i had my pair for donkeys years til i wore them out :rolleyes:

chaps are designed to keep your legs clean and prevent leathers from pinching your calf, they have no impact on your position. it's entirely down to personal choice if you wear them or not. in this heat, i've just been wearing my paddock boots and no half chaps as it's been too hot, and all other times i wear long leather boots so my half chaps have been pretty redundant recently.

newrider.com