Half pads/sheepskin pads...?

popularfurball

Learning all the time
Jul 18, 2005
North west
What is the purpose of a hlaf pad? Do you end up with pressure problems?

Madam has a lovely treed saddle which will be adjusted, and if it fits will be going on trial with her majesty. However, I am concious she has problems with pressure, and she loves the treeless saddle. This is faux sheepskin lined. So thought about getting a sheepskin pad to go under the saddle and maybe one with gel or something in it to help ease pressure? Obv the saddle will be made wide enough to acoomodate this.

Any ideas or opinions? Only ever used a simple numnah or poly pad!

In winter, when he is thinner, Ziggy luuuuuurvvves his Le Mieux sheepskin half pad. It is warm and cool, looks the business (not that he cares) and is clearly really comfortable. It was when I bought the half pad that he finally stopped looking worried about / stepping away from the saddle.

In the summer and when he is fatter, it is too thick for him.

My back lady likes it; my saddler disapproves. I just go by his reaction.

Ill have a look at those.

Shes not particularily happy in her saddle in the school (but fine out hacking) when it comes to canter work.

Hence I got the saddle company one - will get her back done and saddle fitted at the same time - just want to get the right stuff in ready for the fitting as I would prefer it fitted wider to acomodate something to make her more comfy due to the skin problems.

In my mind it's not ideal to have a saddle that is too wide (ie the angles of the tree and the ribcage do not match) as it creates a pressure point at the upper edge of the panel - a thick pad will balance the saddle but will not alleviate the pressure point. Fitting a saddle that is wider in the head (more upside down U than upside down V) but has the right tree angle is the way to allow for a thick pad - it's a bit like having a deeper front panel in the way it affects fit.

A thinner sheepskin pad will be fine under most saddles and will absorb concussion and sweat. It can also be useful for a jump saddle where there is an issue with big shoulders - the pad lifts the saddle away fractionally from the problem area.

I'd never recommend gel of any kind - unstable and can lead to heat spots (there has been evidence of horses actually having burns from them). Add to that the fact that, and do try this, if you stick your fingernails into the pad, the gel moves aside, away from the pressure, and you can feel your nails through it. So it can't really smooth out any irregularities in fit!

would you use anything like prolite though?

Her skin is very fragile (particularily in summer), and tears/rubs very easily. She is currently in a libra trec which is very soft and cushoined on her back - despite not distributing my weight that well (I dont think). She is happy in current saddle, but refusing to canter in the school (it may not be saddle related, but its my first check).

She has always had a strong adversion to treed saddles - even just the sight of them :redcarded: but if they fit, on the second attempt at it going on she is much calmer about the whole affair.

Hence wanting a decent pad to go under it - I already have a hi wither griffin numnah to use as a basic numnah, just would have preferred something a bit more cushioned. Though saddle reflocking properly may do this :)

A pad can help on the margins - Prolite is not something I'd recommend though I'm not against it like I am with gel, I just don't think it helps. Foams do not help with stability whereas the Mattes shims and pads do. I would definitely look at getting it checked and adjusted if you can't narrow it down to being any other issue that is affecting her canter.

You cant adjust the libra (treeless), and using the haf pad underneath makes her reluctant to be tacked up.

Changing saddles as she got grumpy about tacking up after weight loss, rexolved by taking haf pad out - but would prefer a better fitting treed as just not convinved this libra spreads my weight that well - though she seems perfectly happy (she is the first to be grumpy abot saddling up). The canter may be a pelvis/balance issue - or that I am seated - Im going to see if forward seat work helps as she canters out hacking perfectly happily (if a little too enthusiastically :rolleyes:)

But I know we have big skin pressure issues - for the same reason she will not tolerate a leather bridle - yet is happy in a soft synthetic one (libbys). And it took a good two years to get headcollars passed by her majesty - rope halters fine though.

newrider.com