halting

Nic

Sep 4, 2000
Visit site
We have had this pony for about a year now, and are steadily progressing, but we have suddenly encountered a halting problem - ie she won't, not in the school anyway. She will stop if someone is in the school with her but that's not much use in a dressage test! Any thoughts? She just resists. We've tried doing lots of transitions on the track, and she will halt there, but not down the centre line. A small M&M pony is pretty strong compared to my 12 yr old daughter! She has always been ridden in a snaffle and I am reluctant to change as she doesn't bomb off.

hello!

What is your pony like with voice aids? Does she sop on the lunge when your daughter says stand? If so, your daughter could trying saying stand (or whatever word it is your pony responds to) whne she is riding.

How is your daughter asking for the halt? Is she now worrying about it, expecting her not to stop? If your daughter thinks of sitting upright (as often the natural reaction when you want to stop is to lean forwards which unbalanced the horse) and closing her bottom and thigh muslces round the horse then very gently closing her hands round the reins (not pulling back) that should work. It may take some time of trying - ask with your seat and hands then release, then ask until the pony stops. When she does, really really praise her.

As your pony will stop on the track, but not on the centre line, it could well be your daughter is worrying about getting her to stop. Try getting your daughter to come down the centre line singing a song or reciting a poem, or doing anything that means she isn't worrying about the halt at the end.

I hope that helps, let us know how you get on.

Bye!

will do

We'll try this. We do have an instructor but I won't see her for a couple of weeks and we need to try something in the mean time. You could be right about the tension in the rider. i'll let you know what happens! but as it is raining buckets it won't be for a day or two

newrider.com