Hank up to mischief

Jessey

Dec 20, 2004
Suffolk, UK
It was very windy last night and the end post of the temporary fence around the bit I sprayed on friday got dislodged and the ever opportunistic Hank got in there :( Stuffed a cup of activated charcoal into him and called the vet. The vet was more concerened about laminitis than toxic effects as I'd already given the charcoal, so got to be watching him like a hawk for the next few days.

Keeping everything crossed @Jessey how long was it since you sprayed it? And yes I imagine laminitis is the bigger worry. :(
I did it friday evening, but only sprayed a certain patch of weeds, so hopefully he didn't eat them (they don't normally hense the need to spray). It is only a small corner of the field, maybe 15x5m and half of that was weeds, so hopefully not too much grass and he has no history of lami and is a good weight at the moment so fingers crossed. The vet said they have seen a massive increase in lami in the last couple of weeks because our grass went nuts since we finally got some rain.

Hope he doesnt suffer any issues. The only problem with spraying is things they dont normally eat start wilting from the spray and then become palatable.

My neighbour sprayed some thistles and nettles, hes been over the field since the sheep went in there again. Theres loads of grass but i notice the lambs are nibbling at the now wilting nettles and thistles.

Reactions: Jessey
That's a bit naughty of your neighbour to spray while they are in there!

Thankfully it's just golden rod so the plant itself isn't toxic and the vet was pretty confident that the amount he could have gotten wouldn't be enough to be an issue, I hope he's right.

Reactions: Trewsers
Ooo the little sucker, he was back in there! Fence intact, and I checked its putting out 10,000v all around, no way Hank went near that.
Stood there wondering how he got in there and noticed a slight path through the waist height weeds on the swampy acre behind (there's no fence between the swamp and the bit I fenced off currently). I don't know how but somehow it looks like he climbed through here
DSC_4430.JPG

sketch-1589220948463.png
So I added that strand of fence to hopefully prevent any more adventures. He does make me laugh, I just hope it doesn't bite him in the ass! He was cantering around with Dan after I extracted him so no immediate bad effects.

• Haha
Reactions: Huggy and Trewsers
I blocked his path into the sprayed bit, so twice today he's got into another bit. Honestly Hank never gets out so it's got me wondering, Jess was exceptionally grumpy with him tonight so I wonder if she's pushed him out, or she was just jealous he'd been on the grass again :D

Hank deserves every bit of grass he's got the last 24 hours, talk about determind! I really couldn't figure out how he was getting in there, but he did it with me there tonight, I wish I could upload the pictures from my crappy temporary phone.
Theres 3 branches/trunk sections of the willow that come down and run along the ground then sweep up, they are barely 18" apart and the middle one is at least 18" diameter. Hank ducks around branch 1, 90° right, 90° left to climb over the middle one (I know his legs couldn't have reached the ground both sides at once) then does a 90° to the left shimmying along the very much live electric fence. I didn't try but I would have struggled to step over that middle branch! The amazing tree climbing Hank was most upset when I foiled his escape :D even the ever escaping Dan didn't follow him, I so wish Hank was 15hh!

Ok he’s taking the piss now, I leave him for seconds and he’s in trouble again!
in the bloody shed eating the bird food, mealworms and seeds :eek:
603F91F6-C143-4976-B085-086E4EB0145B.jpeg
sheepish but fine this morning thankfully
16230ADD-F0E9-4D8D-A54A-4093CF587C83.jpeg
I think I’m going to have to come up with something to entertain his ickle brain :)

newrider.com