Hanks behaviour

Jessey

Dec 20, 2004
Suffolk, UK
Just an update really, to recap, last winter Hank was a nightmare with separation anxiety (after 4 years of being fine) and would charge around screaming blue murder every time I took Jess out, to the point I felt bad about riding her (without him) and wouldn't ride in the afternoons as didn't want him getting a chill when the sun went down etc. I wondered at the time if it had anything to do with the neighbours horse who was completely obsessed with Jess and was also kicking off every time I so much as put a head collar on her. It wasn't helped in Feb when Jess kicked Hank badly while we were out in the forest and I decided not to lead him out any more.
At the end of March I got Dan, with the plan of keeping Hank company. It went pretty well and his behavior was improved a bit, and at least if he did start by the time I got back he was generally settled, but that was as good as it got.
Mid October the neighbour moved her horses away, and Hanks behavior has steadily improved, on Sunday he called once as we left and once as we came back that I heard and he wasn't at all sweaty :D hoorah!

Another update, Hank improved loads and was to the point he would call and run about for about 3 minutes before giving up, since Jess did her leg and was separated and we had all the fence destroying malarkey and they all went to separate paddocks for a few weeks but I have since put the 2 boys back together in the paddock next to Jess and neither of them give 2 hoots when I take Jess out, I might get a single call 1 in 3 times as I go out and they often both welcome her back, but absolutely zero running about. I want all 3 back together as it's more natural for them and easier in terms of managing Jess' grass intake, but man it's an easy life when they are apart.

In an ideal world everyone would get along perfectly with no hoolyism and no fence breaking. Sadly not always the case. I know what you mean, it is more natural for three to be in together. I have no choice but to keep mine apart, they seem to have found a way to be friends though. And this way, I don't keep coming back to a fat leg or a totally lame horse.

Reactions: Huggy and Jessey
In an ideal world everyone would get along perfectly with no hoolyism and no fence breaking. Sadly not always the case. I know what you mean, it is more natural for three to be in together. I have no choice but to keep mine apart, they seem to have found a way to be friends though. And this way, I don't keep coming back to a fat leg or a totally lame horse.
That is exactly my fear, currently I have 2 happy little boys who are best friends and Jess who is calm, if all 3 go back together Hank will be mean to Dan and irritate Jess until she runs about or beats him up and no doubt she will be the one ending up injured again

Reactions: Trewsers and Huggy
When I brought Billy i kept the two in the same field just seperated by a white tape. I always took billy out for a ride first as he was young and tended to run about if I took chunky first, but it wasn't separation anxiety of any kind. Just the fact that he was young and playful. Chunky didnt care whether first or second for exercise.
Once I put them in together that's when I noticed a big change. Chunky was dominant and would charge at Billy when it came to food. His ears go back which is something he never did. Still no separation issues when taking out though. When things were bad at the yard I turned the boys away for about 7 weeks. Neither left the field in that time. When they came home to mine if I took chunky out, even if Billy had already been out he would charge round the field, calling and I came back to sweaty horse. I ended up bringing them both into the collecting yard. Leave one in exercise the other, come back and swap, then turn back out together.
I think that the time in the field together they both became closer although they still have a love hate relationship, coupled with the move. Billy became unsettled. However I have persevered over the last year with leaving Billy in the field and taking chunky for exercise and now he has learned to settle. I have to say I think i made work for myself when I put them together. I stupidly gave into pressure of people saying how well they got on over the fence.
My setup at home currently doesnt really lend itself to separate paddocks next to each other though, so for now they are staying together. If Billy becomes dominant over chunky due to his old age and mobility I will separate them. It will also be good for Billy to get use to being on his own as and when I have to make a decision on chunky. Hopefully not for a long time, but I dont really want to get a second horse to keep Billy company. I'd rather just have the one again.

newrider.com