Happy Gotcha Day Buddy

diplomaticandtactful

Apr 25, 2003
8 years ago and 1 day you arrived. You weren't supposed to come, the owners were coming to inspect our place and decide, but there you were, in a trailer, just there! Hastily made up a stable for you and that was it.

Just wanted to thank you for all the good times, the fun, the hilarious Buddy humour, the brave boy, all the things you do. We have covered many miles together and I love you to bits.

This the longest stretch you have had with anyone, as you were always passed on when you had done your job and replaced by a younger horse. I took a chance on your age and your soundness and you have been a total star.

It's the twilight of your riding career, and I wish you looked a bit less ribby but you eat very well, you are happy and we will have a little ride this morning then you can go and potter till teatime.

I dread your going, but am so glad you came. Horses as good as you don't turn up very often - I should know! - and the minute I saw you I remember whispering to you, don't do anything daft, you are coming home with me. And you didn't. And you did.

. Horses as good as you don't turn up very often
So this is the insoluble question isnt it? Do some of us get "given" the perfect partner horse. It feels like a divine hand makes provision. Or do they become perfect because we ride them?
Did you have one before Buddy came? His predecessor?
Because, though it doesn happen often, it happens for me every 8 years or so when the need arises.

I think we are just lucky to find the perfect horse. At present Billy my 2nd horse hasnt been as good as Chunky. But then Chunky was already 10 when i got him. Billy isnt there yet. So maybe when he gets to that age he will have mellowed. Its difficult to compare the two due to the age comparison. Ive ridden and exercised him as much as i did in the early days of chunky and im so much more experienced after all these years but at present i still say Billy was a wrong choice for me. But i wont sell him. Hes stuck with me. It will be interesting for me to see whether once Chunky leaves this world whether Billy's bond and attitude with me changes.

Reactions: Huggy
That's lovely d&t. Lucky you and lucky him. I've been fortunate twice now, neither of mine are the perfect horse - except that they are - for me. Regardless of how they look or behave, if they give you joy, they're your perfect one.

So this is the insoluble question isnt it? Do some of us get "given" the perfect partner horse. It feels like a divine hand makes provision. Or do they become perfect because we ride them?
Did you have one before Buddy came? His predecessor?
Because, though it doesn happen often, it happens for me every 8 years or so when the need arises.
I had several before and with Buddy. Shedaw, nutty tb mare from charity, returned her after a year when she almost killed me. Monty, highly strung neurotic Morgan, beautiful horse, had an accident on the road with him and lost confidence in him and return to owners as on loan. First owned horse Molly, coloured cob pts age 26 - she funded Buddy as the insurance money from her paid for him. Molly was highly strung, and retired her after 3 years as she just couldn't do any work. Browneshill Lad, ex racehorse, 4th in Cheltenham Festival Bumper behind Florida Pearl. Never rode him, did a lot of physio with him. He was utterly beautiful. I had to part with him when our business went under. He and Molly went to be rehomed at Sussex Horse Rescue Trust. Molly went out for rehoming, was kicked, came back with a broken splint bone, I brought her back as unfair that the charity had to deal with her box rest etc. Wanted to bring Brownie back, but he and Molly had never got on, and with her injured, couldn't risk putting them back together. Brownie died in his sleep in the field age 16 when he was rehomed by the charity. As things were a bit better, got Rose, coloured cob, on loan when Molly retired. I was very close to Molly, Rose was a thug. But she was retrained and did really well as a hack, till she retired due to ill health.

Then there was Sasa, my horse of a lifetime killed by veterinary negligence, and took my heart with her.

And Suze who started off so badly but has proved to be a real joy and brilliant learning experience. I think I know her as well as I do Buddy.

The ones that got away were a bay mare I worked with year before going to university, she was wonderful, up for sale, had to let her go as rubbish timing. And Ben, a horse i shared for a year. He was called Benjamin Bunny, an ex grade A showjumper, owner by a horrible woman who neglected him. She eventually put him up for sale and again I had to let him go, as i couldn't justify £100 a week full livery to only see him at weekends. He was my heart horse as well but he went to someone who knew him from his younger days. In a way he was an earlier version of Buddy only more naughty with a huge sense of humour.

I first saw Buddy when i went to a Richard Maxwell demonstration at the yard where he was kept. I saw him at half time and thought what a lovely boy you are. Four months later, saw him advertised for sale, was first to go to see him, having not ridden for 8 years and having just lost Molly. I got there before the owners and stood in his stable and told him not to do anything daft as he was coming home with me if he was a good boy. Which he was.

I think you can have multiple horse of a lifetime horses, I suspect Suze will earn that title in due course.

Reactions: Huggy
newrider.com