Has anybody had any RAIN lately.........

fairlady

Jul 14, 2007
Bristol
Today was a glorious day in Bristol, although very Windy. However
it struck me that the Ground at my Yard is getting very 'dusty and dry' and
the grass isn't really growing.

We are in fact, desperate for some Rain............

I can't remember the last time we had a decent 'shower' let alone anything
else and thoughts are turning to the fact the grass isn't growing, therefore
Hay may well be in short supply yet again this Year if we dont get some
Rain soon............

Who has had Rain and I mean 'decent hay making, grass growing' Rain,
lately?

Not a drop for weeks or is that months.:stomp:

My field is rock hard.:banghead:

Stock piled some hay a few weeks ago as was already feeling stressed about it.:cry:

Please rain.

What is this rain thing you speak of? I dont understand.
Now wind- you can take it and keep it. Blowing us off out feet! :(

we havent had any rain for weeks - looking at metcheck, we might get some at the weekend - fingers crossed as we desp need rain but obviously the forcast could change!

we haven't had any for aaaages, in fact I can't remember the last time we had rain! We don't have any forecast either :(

we've had gale force winds for a good few days now

We had about 12 hours of rain last week in Pembrokeshire - but all it did was wash down the yard. The ground seems just as dry and rock hard, but the grass is still growing very fast here (we are lucky with our land - drains well on the top, but retains water further down - which is why it is so good for dairy farming). This is fab for my dairy farmer hubby, but not so good for the ponies (who are being kept in on the yard with hay for most of the day now).

Ali x

I was just looking at the forecast for the next ten days and seems we
may be getting some over the w.end...........about right, Grandaughters
Birthday Sunday and we were having a Garden Party !!!

Still we are desperate for some rain so can't have it all ways.

Perhaps it could stop at 2 and carry on again from 6pm on Sunday:smoke::tongue:

Rain has been the topic of conversation at the yard lately. We have had none at all, think the last time we saw some was back in March and that wasn't much. The grass isn't growing and is starting to turn yellow but some how rusty still has a bit of a belly going on.

We had dust storm type situation at our yard today too! Swirling about everywhere and getting into everyone's eyes. My car looks like one of those dumped cars in Dubai airport!:poop:

Also the muck truck suddenly had a small fire start underneath it! Luckily it was spotted early and drenched with a load of water.

Hay will be £10 a bale next Winter at this rate.

Ground is like concrete too. Horses, who don't normally have coughs, have coughs and hooves are dry.

We really REALLY need some rain!:cry:

I really don't like the prospect of forest and crop fires.

Everyone in my life non horsey thinks it's great with the weather we've been having. I know the same people will moan when there's loads of rain in June and July then complain we've had "no Summer".:rolleyes:

Raindance? here you go::dance::dance::dance::dance::dance::dance:

BRING IT ON!!!!

Just to add.

I've been saying to people. When it does rain, there will probably be floods as the ground won't absorb the water.

Sorry to be doom and gloom. I just get annoyed at the whole "Isn't this weather lovely" comments, constantly!

Erm, No. It's isn't actually. They just can't see it. The fact that it's not normal, doesn't matter, so long as it's "so nice".:rolleyes:

We are also having the same conversations at yard. when I was poo picking today I was collecting as much dust off the ground as poo:unsure: We had about an hours worth of very light rain on Friday but not worth anything. The wind is really strong here and creating lovely dust storms. Poor ponies have very dusty nostrils and eyes. I soooo hope we get some soon as not sure how on earth im going to afford hay if it goes up as much this year:cry:

No rain for ages here and you can insertrt your hands into the cracks in the fields.

I must be the only person who doesn't want rain. I'm still battling the fatties and the less grass I have and biggest area I can allow them to hoon in the better.

No rain here since Feb. My lease field is barren, apart from the s*dding ragwort :furious: My lil tenant Welsh A has stripped it bare so I dread to think what it would look like if Jack and Albi were still there!!! Was hoping to get some more tenants but I've nothing to offer them to eat!!!

We've had rain over my way Domane, my grass is looking lovely and green.

I went down to Devon and Cornwall this weekend and walked around Lands End in a monsoon!

We had 2.5 mm in the rain gauge on Friday, thunder and everything for 1 hour.

I dont want the grass to grow in my field, just in the hay fields:tongue:

Our crops need rain asap, they will soon be creating the yield so this could damage our harvest if no rain in the next couple of weeks:frown: Which makes for a very grumpy farmer husband:poop:a:)

Not a sausage up here in sunny Lancs I'm afraid! Otherwise I'd send it down to Bristol for you!lol. Very very windy though, it has been blowing a force 10 over the weekend down our way, nearly blew me off me push bike!!!

Not for weeks. While I love the sunshine, the lack of rain will be playing havoc with this year's hay harvest . . . again. Expecting the prices of feed and bedding to go up :(. Plus, we were wanting to take Kali in the jumping paddock and the ground is just too hard.

N

newrider.com