Has anyone brought a second adult dog into their home?

Star the Fell

Jun 14, 2015
We have a two year old border collie. We have been offered a five year old jack Russell cross who was found as a stray. We have walked them together a few times and there has been no problem. Ted is usually off his lead anyway and the little one kept on a lead for now. We brought her into our house yesterday and again there was no problem. Ted basically Ignored her. Even when she was sat on my knee, and when she started playing with his toys. There was a big argument when they went for the same toy. The little one started it. We have been told she is possessive over food, so it looks like she is possessive over toys too. The food wont be a problem as we will feed one in the kitchen and the other in the conservatory.
She did wee in the house, not sure if it was excitement, marking her territory or because she didn’t know how to get out. We are used to Ted who only needs to wee once every 12 hours or so. (Or so it seems) so we will have to get used to putting her outside quite often.
Are we letting ourselves in for problems if we take her on? Anyone got any successful or unsuccessful tales for me?
(I made sure the holiday cottage we have booked for May allows two dogs just in case)

Jessey

Dec 20, 2004
Suffolk, UK
Things will settle. I had a JRT for a long time, exs mum used to breed them. They have zero idea they are small, rottweiler in a little dogs body, but once they make friends they will generally settle and be good with others. Most of my friends had dogs and we all always got together with them, it was commonplace for there to be a dozen dogs come to my house (I only had the JRT and a lab) and it would get a bit exciting initially with a new dog but they'd all have a fab time in the end. Dog squabbles always sound worse than they are, there has to be 1 or 2 grumbles to sort out the pecking order.

No_Angel

Apr 20, 2003
Ireland
I agree with Jessie, they will settle down. New place, new people and a new dog to contend with will keep her on edge for a bit, I would take up toys for a while and only give toys when they are separate to start with. I've introduced a few new adult dogs to existing dogs and they have all settled after a couple of weeks and we could reintroduce toys again.

Bodshi

Apr 23, 2009
Yorkshire
I think it depends very much on the nature of the dogs. We have two dogs, one older and one that we got as a pup 3 years ago when the older one was 7. We knew Paddy wouldn't tolerate another adult, he probably would have killed a puppy when he was younger, but he's mellowed since he lost a front leg a few years ago. Even so, we always kept the puppy crated if we weren't there, just in case.

Over Christmas we had 3 other dogs come to stay with their human families. Both my dogs were fine with two of the others (a greyhound/whippet and a lab - both very playful dogs and seemingly quite oblivious to any undercurrents of tension). The other dog is a much more dominant type of dog, he's one of those rescue dogs from abroad and was castrated by the shelter when he was rescued as an adult. Prior to that he'd probably been used to looking after himself as an entire dog. Our younger dog was ok with him, in fact they even played together which apparently is something the rescue dog has never done before, but our older dog and him didn't get on at all and we had to keep them on leads or in separate rooms all the time he was here.

So I think ignoring is a good sign. If your collie is able to tolerate the little one, even if he doesn't want to be friends just yet, it sounds promising. The possessiveness might be annoying. Paddy is hugely possessive - of anything he thinks Ted might want, even just something dropped on the floor - and it's very irritating when he suddenly rushes across the room at Ted snarling and snapping. If you find a cure for that, I'd love to know!

Star the Fell

Jun 14, 2015
Well, we had her again today. Ted was a bit more relaxed with her and settled down on his bed to ignore her. They did have a sniff of each other and kissed noses briefly, so it does look promising. We have told her fostered that we will take her over night on Friday (in a crate) and if that goes ok then we will take her on. However, we said all that before we realised that she’d wee’d in the house again. She is supposed to be house trained., so I’m hoping she will stop quickly. On the other hand she is jack russell crossed with chihuahua, which I believe are notoriously difficult to house train.

Attachments

Jane&Ziggy

Learning together!
Apr 30, 2010
Surrey Hills
Well, it has ups and downs.

We adopted a year old Springer/Border Collie cross 2 years ago as a companion for our young Cocker. She's a lovely dog but very bossy, possessive and obsessive - definitely a collie under the skin. All of our existing adult dogs have fought with her at some point, even our aged, timid and preternaturally gentle Peri. (Peri didn't fight, she just lay down and cried while Maggie bit her).

She has actually got worse over time, especially after Mollie, my first dog and the senior bitch, died last year. But I think a mixed group of dogs is harder than one male and one female. I expect they will rub along ok.

Star the Fell

Jun 14, 2015
Well she has moved in. First night last night and she slept really well in her crate. Ted is doing his best to ignore her, but how do you ignore a missile? She is constant full on! More like a puppy than a five year old. She love being on knees and cuddling people. She is sat on my knee whilst I’m typing this, so apologies s for all the mistakes.
Only quibbling last night was when Ted wanted to play with his toys, Bella always wanted the one he had, so we got a bit of growling, but they both backed down when we told them ‘NO’.
Off to buy her a new collar and harness tomorrow if all goes well again today, and maybe a little coat too!