has anyone ever bought land from local council???

dreamsprite

Jan 19, 2010
cloud cuckoo land
OK so following on from my other thread 'didn't get my land' and in true horse riding style ( fall off ---get straight back on) I have decided to persue local council to see if they will sell me some land...SIMPLE! except everyone I spoke to had `computer says no' syndrome and couldn't help me at all!

is it possible and how do you go about it?????????????????
thanks x

Buying from any public body is a nightmare!

I bought a wood from what was then British Rail and, although the only people who could possibly want it because of access was us, I still had to go through a sealed bid tender system.

I tried to buy land from Railtrack about 13 years ago - and it was like talking to a BRICK wall!!!!!!!!!!!! They were so obstinate and finally told me that if I had £20,000 to spend then yes, they'd sell me some!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (The piece I wanted was tiny and only worth £5,000)

oh dear!!!! looked on website and its something like £400 pounds just to apply to buy and then i would have to pay to advertise the plot locally to see if anyone else wants to buy it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I give up

im going to book a holiday instead to take my mind off it lol x x x

yep, the holiday sounds favourites.........oh dear, it will all work out - you'll find something I'm sure - just a matter of patience and right place right time.

dreamsprite, don't give up, you have to be pro-active. put adverts up in all tack shops, contact all local estate agents/land agents to express an interest, put ad in local paper, etc just crack on with it.

Try googling Defence Estates I found a website where they had land for sale but never found it again, you might have better luck then me I'm not that techno minded.

First of all decide how much you can spend, £20,000 in most areas is about the minimum anyone is interested in and depending where you are will get from 2 to 4 acres. If you need to borrow get finance in place, an addition to your house mortgage is the normal way.

Then contact all Estate and Land agents in your area telling them you are a cash buyer. Write to any likely farmers in the area you are interested in. Look for neglected/ hard to access fields and find out who owns them.

newrider.com