Has anyone used Sarc-X?

I did for about a year. Tobes lost three of his sarcoids and has just one small one on his chest and a possible one on his sheath left. I am not sure whether it was the sarc ex that worked or whether it was the fact that he became more settled - he had had three homes within 6 months and I think that was unsettling for him. He does love cleavers which I think are meant to boost the immune system as well.

I did for about a year. Tobes lost three of his sarcoids and has just one small one on his chest and a possible one on his sheath left. I am not sure whether it was the sarc ex that worked or whether it was the fact that he became more settled - he had had three homes within 6 months and I think that was unsettling for him. He does love cleavers which I think are meant to boost the immune system as well.

What is a cleaver? :confused: :confused:

Alfie has a few sarcoids on his sheath. They aren't the cauliflowery type you think of when someone says sarcoids, they resemble melanomas more than anything. A few months ago one grew another little bump on it but that seems to have settled down and other than that they haven't altered since I have owned him (July 2009) and old owner said they hadn't changed in the year she'd had him (and she was very honest about everything else and has also kept in touch etc. so I have no reason to doubt this).

Cleavers are those sticky things that grow in the hedges and get really big and long in the summer.

Tobes are also the little ones - the one on his sheath looks like a wart really but a pinky wart and the one on his chest is invisible, I can just feel it as a slight bump, but remember when it was really big when he arrived. Although I haven't felt for it for a month or so. The vet came out recently to do his teeth and I showed him the one on his sheath. He wasn't sure it was a sarcoid but said they have success with the Cambridge treatment, but just to keep an eye on it if I didn't want to go that way. I didn't want to have that treatment done on him because I am hoping that the more he calms down and feels secure, the better his immune system will operate.

I did also buy him some of the Simple Systems eclipse recovery powder which some people swear by, but he flatly refuses to eat it. And so I am left with over three quarters of a 5kg bag of it - grr!! If your's isn't too fussy I could send you a sample of it and then you could have it if yours will eat it?

I don't think he'd eat it :rolleyes: he turns his nose up at most stuff!

Do you need a lot of the Sarc-Ex in the feed? I might give it a shot :) I don't want to go down any of the more invasive routes, as they don't really bother him but obviously it would be great if they shrunk or went.

Well, it isn't cheap. Two scoops in every feed - Tobes actually didn't fuss at all about eating it, but two scoops in feed morning and evening. You can also get the Sarc X cream and also there is a stronger Sarc-X which you can get 'on prescription' from the vet. I think (cautiously), I would recommend it. I tried thuja (the homeopatic tablets and cream and didn't work), but think the Sarc X was better.

It does seem to very much depend on the horse. I found with Tobes that topical applications inflamed the sarcoids but once I left them alone they seemed to reduce.

You can't really lose with the Sarc-X powder. Either it will help or not, but be prepared to stick with it for at least 6 months.

Good luck hon x

newrider.com