Has anyone used...

Prjsmk

Dec 1, 2017
Keratex hoof gel?

i moved fields a year and half ago the only downside to this place is it gets saturated from the slightest bit of rain! So that was the end of my cobs absolutely fantastic feet! His hooves are still very good but underneath, terrible! Ended up with a huge hole in his central sulcus right up to between the heel bulbs last year, was painful and made him lame. Vet seems to think its all the wet made his feet so soft and soggy the slightest thing punctured the bottom then the wet just opened it right up. So presrcibed anti biotics for a week as thrush was right up in the hole even though it was cleaned daily and he left me with the blue spray and vet wrap and said buy tape... So for 7 months from aug till march this year every single day i had to clean the hole and re wrap it only ever allowd to leave it unwrapped if the ground was completly bone dry!

The hole just wasnt closing, i spent 100s on alk sorts of products, i then discovered NT dry! Life saver!!! A dry powder treatment, which if you think about it makes sense, wet trestment is just rewetting the area! So the NT absorbed moisture whilst keeping nasties at bay and it eventually closed! Yay!

Now my issue is any wet weather we get and like now the ground is permanently soaked his frog and heel bulbs are soggy! You can push them and water runs out of them, i know they need some moisture. They are so wet sometimes they resemble wet sloppy toilet roll and become a very fragile structure! The is no thrush thanks to red horse sole clense keeping it at bay, the NT dry is currently uselesss id need ten bottles to achieve anything at the moment with that... I come across the keratex hoof gel, having using a keratex product before im vet hopeful. From what i can gather it helps hooves to be water resistant on too and underneath. So i think its worth a try and it was £18 off ebay for a litre, good price.

My questions are:
has anyone used it before and whats your opinion on it?
once applied to the underneath do you need to hold the foot up for any length of time or can you put it straight back down?
can they be put back in the field straight away or do they need to be stood for any amount of time?

added info - i only have slabs to stand him on, no indoor/sheltered area/stable

I used it years ago but didn't notice much difference. Jess' feet get water logged, it's only been a problem I've noticed the last couple of years and I and vets suspect it is related to her cushings (skin issues seem to be her biggest symptom) I've had success using coconut oil with tea tree oil mixed in to it, but when it gets really wet (not that my field is awful) even that isn't enough, I've taken to bringing her onto dry footing, picking feet and dousing with sulphur powder and letting them dry for an hour.

We used Keretex as part of Charlies remedial following lammi and abcessing, worked wonders, once we had them were we wanted them we used to apply it once a week. we sprary with supreme products foot spray at least once a week now, sometimes more if ground particulary wet - keeps nasties at bay.

Thankyou both, today is day two of using it. Hes out near enough every day stood on the slab for an hour, if for some reason hes not stood for the full hour he still does come out daily and have his feet picked out and some grooming and fuss So although not left to dry get a 15 min break at least. My grooming kit contains mane brush, magic brush and then a load hoof and frog products! I could open a shop haha

Update - feet not looking as soggy as they usually do, hoping this is a good sign! Why do they stand in the wettest sloppyest part of the field though! Haha

We also keep a tin of Keretex hoof hardener in the box, in winter if feet get really soft then Farrier advises us to apply this for a couple of days, no longer otherwise they get too hard.

Hoof hardner did nothing to prevent Jess feet becoming waterlogged, her feet are already very solid, its just the frog, peripole, coranary and heels get waterlogged.

Reactions: Prjsmk
I love this hoof gel! Not so keen on the washing the feet everytime, then waiting for them to dry/drying them! I was then spend about half an hour grooming and fussing him, dry off app,y the hoof gel then another half an hour fussing him while it soaks in. I am not sure if you have to do that but i do it as a just incase and he enjoys being pampered. Overall happy with the product though, ive seen a difference! Woohoo! The tins hige too, i used it every day for a week now now i use it 3 times a week, think its only supposed to be once but we have super wet fields at the moment but it looks like ive hardly used any out of it, so good value for money too

newrider.com