Has your horse had feather mites? on its belly?

Rosie1994

Jun 16, 2007
A few weeks ago my cob mare (only has a bit of feather) was showing all the signs of feather mites - stamping, biting at feet, rubbing legs together. HAd a crusty area in feather on 1 back leg. Spoke to vet - advised frontline on all 4 legs, to above the knee & hock, 2 treatments 10 days apart. I've done this but my mare is biting at her belly ( has 2 large bites on 1 side) and also at the tops of her front legs (has 3 bites in this area). She has had a bad few weeks with itching, she has sweet itch too, but at my current yard has had no problems for 2 years. So I am now wondering if the mites are causing the itching & biting. Vet has told me I can use frotline all over, but I was wondering if I do her belly, could I clip her belly first to make sure it gets right to the skin. Obviously I am going to avoid any sore bits. Has any one else had a problem with mites moving up the body?

A few weeks ago my cob mare (only has a bit of feather) was showing all the signs of feather mites - stamping, biting at feet, rubbing legs together. HAd a crusty area in feather on 1 back leg. Spoke to vet - advised frontline on all 4 legs, to above the knee & hock, 2 treatments 10 days apart. I've done this but my mare is biting at her belly ( has 2 large bites on 1 side) and also at the tops of her front legs (has 3 bites in this area). She has had a bad few weeks with itching, she has sweet itch too, but at my current yard has had no problems for 2 years. So I am now wondering if the mites are causing the itching & biting. Vet has told me I can use frotline all over, but I was wondering if I do her belly, could I clip her belly first to make sure it gets right to the skin. Obviously I am going to avoid any sore bits. Has any one else had a problem with mites moving up the body?

Our traditional cob mare got them but just on feathers vet used frontline on her sprayed and rubbed in wearing glove..It smells but done job..never thought about them moving up..

Sounds like your horse has Chorioptic Mange. The vet is correct in advising the use of Frontline but I successfully use oral application of Ivermectin given daily over a period of 6 days. (That takes care of one tube of wormer and a lot of slices of bread!!!). The slow release of the Ivermectin given this way seems to do the trick. Given as a wormer, i.e., a whole tube, does not.
Chorioptic Mange is a topical flea which bites the skin and causes the horse to stamp and rub its legs together, often causing a good bit of bleeding.
The one mare that gets it is a Clydesdale mare that has a lot of feather and they are very susceptible to it. She does bite at her belly too sometimes.
This kind of weather is just the kind the flea likes - seems to thrive better in cold, wet conditions. (This is meant to be the Summer so should not be getting it just yet!!!).
Nothing wrong with your suggestion of clipping her belly to get at the affected areas - our Clydesdale mare wouldn't let me do that, the cow-kicking madame that she is!!!

Thanks! The vet did advise worming with ivermectin too, for three weeks, once a week. I am picking up more frontline today so will hopefully apply that tonight and hope it makes a difference!

newrider.com