hats

twigs

Aug 31, 2008
Belfast NI
just read a post on new rider section about what kind of hat...
I have a skull type with a black silk, and I know its all about saftey before anyone reminds me but...how protective are the lighweight vented type hats..
when I take my skullcap off my hair is soaking, so was thinking of a lighter one for the summer:confused:

My hat is borrowed from RS but it is just a plain skull cap. My hair is wet through by the end of a lesson. Am wanting to buy a hat but have no idea what to go for. Glad you've posted this thread.

just read a post on new rider section about what kind of hat...
I have a skull type with a black silk, and I know its all about saftey before anyone reminds me but...how protective are the lighweight vented type hats..
when I take my skullcap off my hair is soaking, so was thinking of a lighter one for the summer:confused:

Its dependable on the hat model, really.

i love my ventair, they go through rigarous (sp?) testing, so they are just as safe as the other hats out there.
they are expensive though, so if you are likely to be falling off alot (im not saying you are!) then it might be better with a skull which is about 1 third of a time.
but they are abit more attractive:p skulls always looked like mushrooms on my head!

Depends on which "safety" part I suppose.
If it's the fall you're worried about, they must be up to scratch otherwise they wouldn't have kite marks and the rest.

Only potential problem might be like a branch sticking through the ventilated part (for those hats which are "very" ventilated) but some hats like the GPA have a metal grill to avoid this ...

Otherwise I had a ventilated jockey skull (to be used with ventilated silk ideally) and I felt the difference. You don't necessarily have to go for a fully ventilated (type Troxel, GPA Speed'air etc ...)

Last edited:
ive got a charles owen jockey skull atm but for christmas im getting a champion ventair:D, ive never really get that hot in a skull cap except when its boiling but i wanted a campion anyway so i asked daddy...:p

bit OT (and personal sorry!) but do you all sweat this much when you ride?

i have a CO velvet hat (one for best one for day-to-day, ) and the browband gets a bit damp but thats it even in hot weather and riding for along time (not just plodding "proper" riding aswell so i do get warm)

its never been an issue for me :confused:

Don't think they're that well stocked or advertised but i've got a kavalkade hat - similar to the JTE in design but look a bit sleeker. It got air vents in and lets the head breathe. I used to have a skull cap before this one and used to have a 'hot head' after (and also terrible hat hair!!!), this one is great though, the vents do work and its a really nice hat, not too bulbous looking. Also great price as only £65 from Oberon Equestrian. (they also do gorgeous saddlecloths with a built in pressure pad. Bit like the pro-lite pads but built in, one of the best i've bought!!!)

ive got a charles owen jockey skull atm but for christmas im getting a champion ventair:D, ive never really get that hot in a skull cap except when its boiling but i wanted a campion anyway so i asked daddy...:p

i asked my dad for one of them i got told what for and buy your own so for my christmas preasent to him is my hat :eek:
no he wants a golf waterproof suit :confused:

newrider.com