Have experienced first bitchy comments...

Coco91

May 14, 2008
Herts
:mad:

My friend that I have bought the gorgeous Oliver with, went to our riding school today for a lesson. While she was there she had to listen to 20mins of the Riding School Owner expressing her opinion on the fact she thought we were mad for having bought a horse and why didn't we tell her what we were doing :eek: All these novices who think they can just go out and buy a horse, blah, blah, blah. Between us we have received 9 years worth of riding school lessons, and I currently share a horse called Jack. Granted the share is only one day a week but it has taught me a lot, very quickly.

Bearing in mind that we took our regular riding instructor with us to look at the horse, it's not as if we went out completely on our own, as that would be a bit silly for first time buyers. This has really upset me, i think she should be offering her support not telling us off for doing it.

Yes we are novices and yes we will have a lot to learn, however we are on a very small friendly yard and the YO knows this is our first horse and is happy to help :).

Women have babies all the time without any prior training or instruction. Is this an opinion about novice owners that I am going to come across a lot? :eek:

How are you ever expected to progress, don't we all have to start somewhere.

Coco :(

I think that's really mean! You and your friend have obviously put a lot of thought into buying a horse, (taking your instructor, finding a suitable yard and being honest about your experience), I agreee she should be more supportive.
Good luck with your boy anyway!

Edited to add the fact that you are also taking him for lessons, not just galloping about fields thinking you know it all like some people do as soon as they get their own horse. Surely anyone can see that you're sensible!

Thank you Chiicken

I think that's really mean! You and your friend have obviously put a lot of thought into buying a horse, (taking your instructor, finding a suitable yard and being honest about your experience), I agreee she should be more supportive.
Good luck with your boy anyway!

Have experienced first bitchy comments

Fairly common unfortunately - I go back to my riding school periodically, in spite of having my own horse, and there are those who support me, and make me feel welcome, and those who resent me, and let me know it.

It's sad that you are having to put up with it when you are obviously happy that you now have your own horse, but don't let it get you down - maybe she's just angry that you might move on, or are paying less for instruction because you now have your own horse?

Good Luck, and enjoy building your relationship with your new companion :)

Roseanne xxx

Smile, nod & ignore. Enjoy your horse. Nobody elses business.

Either that or tell them you didn't ask for their opinions so thanks for belting up!

Quite often, people have another agenda. On the surface, she's telling you off for not being responsible, but you have to remember that often trainers have a vested interest in keeping students dependent on them. Also, they can make most of their living from the commission in 'finding you a horse'.

The problem in the horse world is that every body is an expert and what they do is the only way to do it. What ever you have done i would say well done go for it and wish you all the best. If you make a mistake it will be your mistake and nobody else's. Enjoy that's what it is all about

The problem in the horse world is that every body is an expert and what they do is the only way to do it. What ever you have done i would say well done go for it and wish you all the best. If you make a mistake it will be your mistake and nobody else's. Enjoy that's what it is all about

Totally agree with this statement. You will get more negative comments but just ignore and enjoy. I was in a similar situation when i got my lad nearly 9 years ago and it was the best thing i ever done :D Oh don't forget to pop up pics of Oliver :)

Coco91;2299497Women have babies all the time without any prior training or instruction. Is this an opinion about novice owners that I am going to come across a lot? :o[/QUOTE said:
That is one of my pet points :D

If you're open minded and eager to learn then you are streets ahead of those with closed minds.

Of course we novice owners would all like more experience than we have, that's human nature, but only time can fix that ;)

Surround yourself with a team of trusted professionals and experience and keep your eyes open. The skills will come given time :)

Coco1, rest in the knowledge that you have taken a responsible approach in every avenue; regular lessons, share horse experience, identifying suitable yard, plenty of time taken to find a suitable horse, plans for ongoing lessons. What more could you possibly do? Everyone has to buy a first horse at some point in their lives :rolleyes:

Enjoy it all :D:D

I agree with all the above, it's also much more enjoyable to have a horse of your own and not just one you sit on once/twice a week at a riding school. It will also give you more determination to get more out of your lessons too. They were probably annoyed at you doing them out of the comission as Katewooten said. Good luck to you

Surely everyone that has a horse was a novice owner to begin with?? How easily they forget!!!
I would have wished I had the courage to say something but would have seethed inwardly instead:eek:!!!
Good luck with him!!

Unfortunelty you will, yes... but you dont have to listen to them..... agree with Smile, Nod, Ignore... lol.....and yes you are right, everyone had to start somewhere.. a bit like driving lessons.... it's when you've passed your test that the real knowledge starts to build up. If she's not going to support your decision, thentake your custom and money elsewhere.... Could your instructor teach you/your co-owner at your yard??

If your RI could meet my daughter's first "own" pony that she got aged 11, and then the first horse I bought her when she was 16 she would no doubt have a combination of kittens and puppies.:eek:

Every horse is going to present you with challenges whether you're a novice or Mary King, its how you deal with it that counts and it sounds like you're sorted in that direction. Wishing you many happy times together :D

Having met you during your horse search I would like to say I thought you were both being extremely sensible about how you were going about it. I also thought you rode nicely & sympathetically. Don't let her put a damper on your enjoyment of your new lovely boy.

Smile, nod & ignore. Enjoy your horse. Nobody elses business.

Either that or tell them you didn't ask for their opinions so thanks for belting up!

Love that!! and very wise advice.

You need to have thick skin in the horse industry i'm affraid there are always going to be people that know better than you! and enjoy telling you.

Thanks Lis, that's really kind of you to say. I now have a large smile on my face

Having met you during your horse search I would like to say I thought you were both being extremely sensible about how you were going about it. I also thought you rode nicely & sympathetically. Don't let her put a damper on your enjoyment of your new lovely boy.

newrider.com