Have i done the right thing??

ladyluxor

Apr 11, 2008
norfolk
Sorry in advance if this is a bit long,

I had to have the vet out saturday as my girl was limping on her front left, anyway to cut it abit short :)
They drained it and told me to poulrice it for 5 days wt and 2 dry, yesterday she was looking alot better on it.
Went down tody to re due her poultice and she was limping again really bad.
She wouldnt let us lift her leg up and we thought she was being awkward,as she can be.
But when we tried lifting her other front leg up she lifted it with ease but then we noticed it was slightly ho and swollen above the hoof up to the bottom of the knee.

I put a cold compress on it and bandaged it and have stabled her tonight as i was waiting for the vet to phone bk.
Needless to say they didnt and i had to phone them again.

I can not re due her poultice on the other foot as she cant bear weight on her other leg.

Have i done the right thing?? What else could i do??
I plan on makeing a small paddock tommorow for her to excercise in and see how she goes. Maybe call the vet out if she isnt any better, maybe for some pain relief,

sorry to hear your mare has an abcess at present :( but if its any consolation Joey and Misty both have an abcess and both have it in the same hoof:rolleyes: Misty is being a complete angel to poultice and as a result is a lot less lame after just 2 days poulticing and is pretty much sound. Joey on the other hand is acting like i'm trying to kill him and as a result vets have told me to just leave him and keep an eye and just make sure he doesn't get worse but just let nature take its course. Joey won't stable and they don't want to give him bute as he is still tearing around no it in pain so if given bute they think he will do himself more harm. He won't let us poultice at all and vets have said them coming out for 7 sdays to sedate then puoltice him would be pointless and cost a fortune so having to just keep a close eye on him. He is less lame than he was but still sore with a verty hot hoof still. Have tried tubbing it etc with no sucess so just having to monitor him now.
Not really advice but just wanted to let you know you're not alone. Apparently there are a lot of horses with abcesses at present according to my farrier and vets.

Im a bit confused...Sorry! Was the one that was lame today the opposite to the one that was already lame?

A small paddock sounds like a good idea - she may have been putting excess weight on that leg, or pacing due to being on box rest or indeed have not moved all day due to other one hurting! Grass will help her forget about it so she can weight bear more normally and moving around helps blood flow to the area which speeds healing process as brings nutrients to area :)

Yh sorry.

Her front left hoof was the one that she had drained and poulticed and now she has gone lame on her front right.
Im thinking has this happened because she has been putting her weight on that more to ease the pressure what was on her left.
She wasnt n box rest i was told by the vet to leave her to graze, I have stabled her tonight though and i am planning to make a small paddock tommorow if this is what i should do.

She is walking but very limpy, when i stabled her earlyer she was putting weight on both legs but when she tried to move would limp.

If that makes sense.
Ohh i am so worried now... i have spoken to the vet who has said that i have done the right thing and if she isnt any better tommorow to call them again.

I am worryin anyway as she doesnt normally get shut in she is just free to come and go as she wishs.

The original injury leg seems to be more weight bearing than the other.

Nope not around that part and we have looked really well at the under of her hoof nd can not see anything there.

The heat and swelling is between her bottom of her knee to her sesamoid and where her flexon tendons run.

Why don't these things happen BEFORE the vet comes out, rather than after - just typical. Hope you see some signs of improvement in the morning. Bet she's feeling miserable poor thing.

I think im feeling eeven more sorry for her as im all hormonal at the moment being 36weeks pregnant.

Fingers crossed for the morning.
Dnt think im going to sleep very well tonight.

Oh I remember it well, if I wasn't a complete psycho I was bawling my eyes out :eek:. Try not to worry, try and get some sleep and see how she is in the morning. :)

well i think she is putting more weight on it this morning,
My husband has sectioned a small paddock area off outside her shelter and we have bedded it out thick with straw,
I have left the bandage on for a bit of support.

I am going to go bk and check on her later and maybe stable her again tonight to try and let her give it abit of a rest.

I dnt really want to call the vet out again unless i really have to. She does look abit better tho this morning.

Is it ok to just see how it goes, she doesnt look in any pain

newrider.com