have you ever been to close your eyes on a horse

RayRay

Jan 8, 2017
so I had a lerson at riding school near to where i live now(kind of near) and the insuctor told me to close my eyes to feel what the house was doing and then again to feel what i was doing. i did it but it was little bit nerve racking haha.

have you ever been told to do this

Lol - we get to close our eyes while leg yielding alternately left and right to weave through a line of cones - most people end up a looooong way off the line!!

It is a great exercise to get you to learn how much to shift your weight while leg yielding and also how one sided your horse is.

Kite_Rider

Cantering cabbage!
May 18, 2009
LOL @ safe in a controlled environment. Do showjumping and hunting count as controlled environments? :p If so then yes, I've done it loads :D
No joosie I don't think they do o_O, but you are a little bit bonkers :p

selside

Jul 1, 2010
Yorkshire Dales
Yes. I've done it. My instructor made me do it to "feel" if I was on the correct diagonal. (I used to take sneaky peaks down at the outside shoulder, I couldn't always tell on the school horses!). People mention jumping blindfolded or with eyes closed. I don't fancy that at all. It's human nature to want to see what's going on all around you.
You should be fine in a safe environment with a teacher on hand. Feels a bit weird if you aren't used to it, but it can help you feel the various parts of your horse moving under you.

Huggy

Nov 11, 2018
Well, I live in Hampshire, and I'm pretty sure if I closed my eyes on Hogan, when I opened them I'd be in Surrey or a ditch. Tried it on Ramsey on a hack once and ended up in some bushes. In the school however, I did feel the benefit. I realised that I could sense the diagonal, and could also sense when he was tensing at a scary fence post. I think it made me realise I could feel more than I realised.

Pete's Mum

Jun 4, 2014
Yes, lots!

I really like using it down the centre line to assess if I'm straight as a rider.

SoLucky

Apr 27, 2019
Australia
I found it so much easier to feel how the horse moves (safel doing this in the arena!) doing this - real light bulb moment for me.