Have you ever fallen in love with a horse you know you cant have?

Jackblack

Sep 4, 2008
Was just sitting here thinking about how i got back into horse riding after a 5 year gap and it would have to be a horse called Dakota, straight off the race track who i fell in love with instantly, he was 16h 2 and black as could be, highly strung in the stable but once he got out he was perfect,

even though i would say i am not as experienced as the majority of people on this forum i would say that i felt extremely confident on Dakota, he was 5 years old and i was in love with him from the moment i saw him

he was put into my charge to ride around the usual training routes about 9 months ago ish with the other riders and he was always brilliant, i never canter a horse until i am comfortable i know i can control them but i cantered this guy straight away, i had a few bad thoughts running around my head, like oh my god ex racer, what am i at, but he was so easy to hold back if the other horses went off on a canter and left us behind, and he was great to stop and slow down,.

some of you will say why did i not keep him or buy him, well he was for sale to someone else and i rode out with her on a 12h 2 little mare, (she can definatly hold me) and connie the mare decided she didnt care if he was a race horse she would still win, she is impossible to hold up but she taught me loads,

Dakota was having none of it and took off in a controlled gallop after the mare, who was only trotting, with the new owner to be on Dakota, well she screamed her lungs off, and connie would not stop, stayed on for the whole thing but dakota jumped a fence and popped the girl off. he loved every minute of it but she freaked it but she was ok, so dakota went back to original owner for being too dangerous. all she had to do was to say wow, i did tell her what he was like and she seemed confident. but she just got the fright of her life. so i rode dakota back and she rode connie back the 4 miles and i never saw him again

dont know what brought this to mind today but just saw a horse on the road the other day that looked like him and left me wondering,

we would have made a great team would love to ride him just once more

so has anyone else felt this with a horse from the moment they met.

Oh, yes :D
My first "love" was a grey called Perry, who was offered to me, but my mum couldn't afford a pony at the time. It didn't stop me loving him and dreaming about owning him, and I was devastated when we moved away because I never got to see Perry again. I don't even know if he's still alive now (he would be around twenty years old). I always vowed that when I was grown up, I would go back and buy him, but it just wasn't meant to be.

Last year, my YO was selling her youngster and he was just what I wanted and as soon as I saw him I felt that he was meant to be mine. I adore him, but unfortunately, we couldn't afford him at the time. She's now decided that she doesn't want to sell him, so I at least get to see him every day and give him a fuss.

I love Mo & know she isn't my horse, but nothing like what you describe. Why don't you try & track him down to see if he is for sale? Did you know the owner or the person that was trying to sell him for them? You just never know

Yep, a lad called Dakari.

16.1hh bay tb, absolutle darling in the stable. Wouldn't harm a fly. One time, the girl who was tacking him up forgot to undo his leg straps :)rolleyes: I told her they were still done up, but she ignored me) and so the rug got caught around his legs - He didn't panic, just stood there and let us fiddle and try to get it off. Riding wise he went so nicely for me, he wasn't easy but he was the right balance of quirky hard work to get going and yeah, ok, I'll do that. He wasn't amazing at jumping (rushed his jumps and over jumped alot) but I felt so confident on him. I was the only one at my RS who was allowed to ride him in lessons because his owner was a bit funny.

One day his owner just up and moved him and I haven't seen him since. :(

I used to ride a hoss called schooner, he was a black gelding about 15.2 ish, he had terrible conformation, a ewe neck, and dipped back and a staring coat, but he was a fab jumper and had plenty of go in him
He dies alone in his field apparently, he was a nasty pig really but i loved him, no many people like d to ride him for some reason:rolleyes:

I love Mo & know she isn't my horse, but nothing like what you describe. Why don't you try & track him down to see if he is for sale? Did you know the owner or the person that was trying to sell him for them? You just never know

I know the area that he is from and a first name but that is it, i could try it but i have two horses now and just wouldnt be able to give them all the attention they deserve, but maybe i will check him out

Yep.

Jamie. 17.2hh Clydesdale gelding at the RHS two years ago. Still, I saw him again last year! :D

A pony called Skerry - 13.3hh palomino I used to ride at the yard I worked at. He was cute, jumped anything and had the sweetest nature. He was a stubborn bu**er and a flighty thing but i loved riding him and we just clicked.. then I found my Cheyenne :D and everything changed!

Other than that.. A friend of mine had a horse called Astros 16.3hh ex National Hunt gelding.. MENTAL literally mental and I don't often say that about a horse. He was dark dark bay with a mad eye, always snorting and calling and pacing. Couldn't school for toffee, hacking was always interesting but he jumped like no other horse I have ever EVER seen.

No word of a lie, the last time I rode him he jumped a 12ft deep ditch in the deer park where we used to ride.. the ditch was about 7-8ft wide.. I wish I was exaggerating but it was the most terrifying thing ever.. He bolted and was heading towards it and I couldn't stop and was literally screaming and then he took off, next thing I know he was on the other side panting.. My mum never let me ride him after that. But when he broke down and was retired at 7 due to his mental behaviour his owner offered me him for £200 as a companion. How tempted was I? There was just something about him, he was like a magical dream horse!

yes tango or loch neagh cruise , i had her in for competing for about 4 months , i feel well and truely in love , she had a terrible reputation for being the ultimate cow bag , but we just bonded, once id got her outr winning bsja regulary the owner came and took her back, i saw her a couple of times at other shows , and i wanted to put her in my lorry and take her home . about 4 months ago she was for sale but at the price of £10,000 well beyond my means , though i would love to have her back and given the oppertunity i would jump at it

Yes, I sure have.

I fell in love with a 5year old gelding who I had been riding since he was 3 1/2, nearly every week. He wasn't an easy ride at all and I did get frustrated at points because it stopped us doing certain things but over time it became fun because I loved him, hehe, and eventually I knew what buttons to press and when to be more negotiable:p

He napped like hell, reared in protest once he was wound up, attempted to gallop round the school with you and transitions to canter were like rocketing into space (I have never ridden a pony who really pushes off his hinds that much :eek:). When fizzy, he was hilarious, impatient, joggy, wiggling his bum and shaking his head. :p

On the ground he was a gem, never kicked ever. Loved a good scratch (and a nibble on your thigh occasionly!)

Awh. :)

Yes, the pony I used to ride at a riding school, her name was Kia-ora and I loved her more than anything as a teenager, I still think of her all the time.
My friends 'crazy' horse Poet, who was unrideable. I couldn't afford to buy him when he was sold.
A NF foal, RJ who I used to look after, who I really wanted to buy but realistically I didn''t have the money to keep him, plus he would have been too small for me to ride.
Beau, the little coloured cob I ride at the riding school who has restored my confidence, couldn't afford him even if he ever did come up for sale as I already have two :(
I think it's very hard if you look after, share or ride other people's horses not to fall in love with them.

Yep i have!
Buddy. He was at the college i went to. A lovely 16.2hh Chestnut TB Gelding!
He was so lovely. The moment i saw him i knew right away that i wanted him. I tried to ride him as much as i could as he was an angel in the school. We even did some speed jumping :) He was excellent... no matter how fast he was going he would clear them with scope :D
When i found out the equine part of my college was closing down i was told all the college horses were for sale. So instantly i said i wanted Buddy. Went home and told my parents that they were selling him and they were really keen. Went to tell the YO (Buddy was his own horse) He was more than willing to let me buy him... But with a price tag of £3000. I know to alot of people that isn't alot for such a good horse but i was told he would never go for more than £2500.. That was my parents maximum they would pay for a horse. So i guess it wasn't meant to be. I went over to college today and he is still there. Still loving his life. It was just s shame i couldn't have him. But if it wasn't meant to be then it wasn't i guess. But now i have a lovely horse on loan :) Sorry for the long story :eek:

Yes, He was called Nobby.. was one of my old bosses horses but I tended to him daily/exercised him when I worked on a livery yard. He was a coloured cob.

Bosses spilt up and Nobby was sold, I was offered him but on a grooms wage he was far from what I could afford.

Oh how I loved that horse... I spent all riding time with him, we used to go for all day hacks, pub rides, he was bombproof with character perfect mix!

Funny enougth couple of years later I bought a horse and chose a local livery yard to where moved to.

I went to turn my hoss out, and blow me down... there was Nobby in the field!!

I called him, can you believe it he came to me!! I was in tears... but so happy he looked really well. His name had been changed to Robbie so I had to keep reminding myself not to call him Nobby !

Ohh I have a piccy somewhere ... runs of to find it :)

I still think of him to this day and how hes getting on, he was 5 at the time so would probabley be approx 13ish now last seen in Mid Cheshire area!

yep

love of my life

mac - 13.2 palomino gelding he was 12 years when i rode him (about 4 years ago) and i loved him!! fell in love instantly! got a second viewing and fell even more in love with him - pony of my dreams, i had never felt so confident and proud on a horse (well pony) before

dad wrang to put an offer in however he had already been sold (someone put an offer on him 30 mins before we did!! and they accepted!:rolleyes: typical)

i cried for months! :eek:

id love to know where he is now.

I've fallen in love with every horse I've had fun riding! If I feel safe and happy on a horse I fall in love, I'm easy like that!:D

Boomerang: I loved him with a passion: my first true horsey love! His owner wouldn't sell him to me and I didn't buy him when he was offered to me the day he arrived at the yard (too much money, OH would've killed me, not worth what was being asked). I wish with all my heart I'd bought him when I could. Although I had him on full loan and was made co-owner, he wasn't all mine and I thoroughly regret that. Looking back, I would pay anything I could scrape up. A special horse is worth more than market value.

Tabithakat64: where is your RS with another coloured cob called Beau?! I'm in Herts, too!

Yup. My 'friend' has a mare that I just love. She's the sweetest thing and takes all the crap my 'friend' gives her and just tries so hard. I know one day said friend will decide to sell the horse because she isn't winning anymore (that's the type of person she is. and it's all her fault the horse is messed up. girl can't ride for crap lol). I already told my parents and they agreed that when she goes to sell her I'm getting her. 'Course my 'friend' doesn't know it yet xD

newrider.com