Having a bit of a rough time.

Just wanted to add - if you would like to know any details that you feel might help point your mum in the right direction pm me as it isn't that long since my mum had to deal with it all and I can remember how we got my dad to see the right people etc and the process of getting into care etc.xx

Thank-you, I'll wait and see what the diagnosis is but most likely will be in touch X

Reactions: Trewsers
Just a thought, urine infections in older people can send them bat sh!t crazy sometimes and they don't even know they have one, my grandad did have dementia but if he suddenly completely lost the plot it was always down to a UI, so that may be why they're doing medical tests first xx

Just a thought, urine infections in older people can send them bat sh!t crazy sometimes and they don't even know they have one, my grandad did have dementia but if he suddenly completely lost the plot it was always down to a UI, so that may be why they're doing medical tests first xx
Yes agree with this completely. Have seen it with a few older people I know. One even said her memory and sleeping were down to old age. I said have you seen the drs you might have an infection. She said no. So a couple of us convinced her to have a visit. When I saw her the very next week she said i was right with my diagnoses.

Reactions: Jessey and MrA
Oh Ale, sorry I’ve only just read this, I’ve nothing to add that hasn’t already been said re your grandad and Mum, but as everyone else has said we are here if you need to chat or just to let off steam.
Big hugs lovely.

Reactions: MrA
Ok. Finally on the laptop!
First off, I know only too well the effects of dementia, having worked with elderly people with the disease and my grandad showing signs too. UTIs are so commons its unreal! Your grandad needs to see he has a problem, he might be stubborn and it might take time sadly but unless he sees there is a issue its hard to deal with which makes family members feel frustrated and helpless. Which I completely get. Though going to his gp may be the wake up call he needs. After that medication doesn't cure the disease but it can prevent it becoming worse or slow the disease down. In terms of self help things my grandad writes lists ,incase he forgets.With your mum she is most likely worried about her dad and herself and getting anger as she is stressed and doesn't understand dementia.
I would try the firm but fair way, you say she discharges herself. Give her reasons why she shouldn't. Against medical advice for example, which sometimes peple dont care about, they have it in their head there going and that's that! Maybe getting the doctor or nurse t actually explain the op she has had and how big of a op this is, could help. And for you Ale, tell yourself you are doing All that you can, Youre being there, your are being supportive. You will be helping them by being there. Just keep going been you, it sounds silly. But sometimes that's all is needed or you can do. Not to beat yourself up, you dont need or desvere that!

Amazing advice everyone, so kind of you all thank-you. And thank-you again for the support. I am just not myself and struggling it'd frustrating that I can't do more to help my family. It's hard seeing them so unhappy.

I had today off, went and did Ale and had a quick hack on Brodie which I really enjoyed but then all I wanted to do is be at home and eat. I think it's just anxiety or something, I just find being alone so much easier, probably hiding away.

Anyway tomorrow I'm going to make more of an effort. I'll ring my mum and find out how the weekend has been, it's hard even ringing her because she gets quite upset talking about anything. And if I ask about grandad she just says he had a funny turn, but that can be anything from him not remembering where he put his wallet to getting the bus somewhere and then not knowing where he is or how to get home. But I want to mention to her about the UTIs and dehydration.

Reactions: Trewsers and Jessey
My mums got her operation date, it's next Friday. Pleased she has it but also worried of course. It's my first day of college that day too. I'm working alot recently but actually finding it a really good distraction and good to feel productive so will carry on with that until her operation and go from there.

Good that your mum has her surgery date but can totally understand your worries.
Sending lots of healing vibes for your mum and lots of good luck to you for your new start.

It’s very good to be busy rather than sitting and fretting about stuff.
Good luck with college and healing vibes for you mum too x

Thanks so much everyone, she's the bravest person I've ever known, I know everyone probably thinks that about their mums but she really is. Just so sad that she has to now go through all this but she will get through it all I'm sure and no doubt be back riding before I know it. Thanks again :)

newrider.com