Having problems leading filly

Wkndtrotter

Jun 30, 2000
Texarkana, AR
Visit site
:( Now I am having problems leading my filly, she did OK at first, but is not doing too good now, she just won't move. I go in a circle and she'll take a couple of steps and then stops. Even though today I took the feed bucket in my left hand and she went, I praised her a lot and repeated it a couple of times, and then she did go without it. I don't know if that's a good idea though. She may only want to go when I have the bucket. Help please.
Trotter

Be very encouraging. Each time she takes even one step forwards, praise her! Bribery is ok at first, ie. if she walks forwards three steps, give her a treat; then if she goes forward five steps, another treat; and so on. Make sure to use lots of verbal praise and cuddles as well, as eventually you want to miss out the treats, and just use cuddles and praise. Good Luck!!! :D

My colt went through a phase where he did the same thing. He just stopped. I tried the bribbery thing and that worked while I had food. Eventually it became like a game to him and he got worse. So one day I got tired of it and while walking next to him popped him on the butt with the end of my lead rope. I hope you understand that I didn't beat him or anything. It startled him more then anything. He stepped right forward. I only ended up having to do that a couple more times before he decided it wasn't worth it. His game was no longer fun and he was no longer getting rewarded for bad behavior. My horse loves to please me and we play many games. You just have to be the one that decides what's a game.

I tried your advise about popping her with the lead rope, but she did not like that all. Just got feisty and pulled back. I tried treats again today, and it seemed to go a little better for a while, but she always stops and then I have a hard time getting her to go again. Help if you can!!!:( :(

Will she back up? I had the same problem with a colt last year so instead of trying to make him walk on I made him back up instead. The idea is keep backing her up even when she's had enough - then it becomes a far more attractive idea to go forwards!

You don't say when she does this. Are you doing much work with her? If so, it may be her way of telling you she's had enough for a while; remember she's very young and she's maybe getting a bit stale. Perhaps a break of a few days would help if this is the case.

You could also try "leading" her loose in the field, if you can. Have a bribe in your pocket and see if she'll follow you for it, without a lead rope. Make a big fuss of her if she does and she'll be more likely to do it again. If she'll happily follow you loose, it's a big step towards leading her off a halter. When you do get her on a halter, try not to get into pulling contests with her - she will always win. Let her choose when to move forward (you might need lots of patience!) and then reward her straight away. Encourage her with a bribe by all means, till she gets the iea that leading is more fun than being awkward.

Hope all this is of some help - they're all methods tried and tested on my youngsters. Let us know how you get on!

I'm not sure how old your filly is, but have you ever considered long reining her. I found that was the best thing ever for my pony's leading as it taught him to go forward without a rider on his back, although he was much older at 6 years old.

newrider.com