Hay storage?

*Sez*

Salsa & Solstice Twilight
Sep 12, 2003
North Yorkshire
salsachronicles.blogspot.com
I need a few ideas for my hay, short of bringing it home and trying to store it here :rolleyes:

I already have a rug box (I considered this for my hay, but it'll mean I have rugs and equipment everywhere) and three feed bins, so I need something that's not going to take up too much space AND that I can put a padlock on. I'm going to need to fit at least one bale of hay in it, preferably two.

Any ideas or does such a thing simply not exist?

That box is nice but EXPENSIVE !!

If you're daring and a little into DIY, why not make yourself a box ?
All you need is a few sheets of wood-based material (beware, some aren't suited for humid areas), a few screws (easier to place than chasing nails and generally holds better). You can use metal brackets to hold the sides and can have a locking system to place a padlock.

At least it's made to measure too ;)

Last winter I used some tough plastic storage boxes OH brought from B and Q - they were about £40 each and they double up as seats (I also keep rugs in the other one). To make more hay fit in, I had to cut the baler twine but I did quite well in the end and managed to keep a couple of bales and some hayledge in a small bale in it also. They are green and cream plastic - you'd have to have a look on the b and q website.

Now then! That link posted is the kind of thing I'm on about - only obviously mine are smaller (hence the big price difference!). If you squish your hay and like I say, but the twine you could fit quite a bit in. Only other alternative is the hay bags I've seen - they were in Your Horse mag a while back - think they were about £11 each? You could buy a couple of those and then store the hay at home (I was thinking about the bits dropping everywhere, at least in a bag they can't shed all over the place!).

Does it have to have a padlock on it?

If it were me i'd stick my bales on a pallet and over with tarpaulin and bricks to weight it down.

Other than that, I have quite a few of those B&Q storage boxes which are loackable, but you'd only get one bale of hay in there and at £40 a time they aren't cheap :)

I personally wouldn't bother with the B&Q box. I have one for my rugs and at £40 for one bale I'd rather just get a bale bag or 2 and stick it on a pallet.

I'd worry about managing a tarpaulin in the wind on my own and it all blowing away so would prefer the idea of bale bags :)

newrider.com