Hay storage

Jessey

Dec 20, 2004
Suffolk, UK
I have a small hay shed but I recently split a load of hay with my neighbor and its really nice hay and a good price but he will only bring a minimum of 6 bales at a time (half hesstons) and I can only fit 2 in my shed, so I'm trying to decide if I can order 6 bales and figure out a way to store it long enough that it won't go bad, each bale lasts about a month (I expect longer once the grass comes in though I still feed hay all summer as I limit grass intake) so it would need to keep it nice for 4-6 months, is it even possible? if it gets damp it will be a false economy.

Does anyone have a pallet/tarp system that works well? or I was thinking gazebo/poly tunnel for the summer (neighbor will be using more in winter so we can split loads again)

I used double layered pallets underneath and heavy duty tarp at old yard with small cones on top of the hay under the tarp to make a tent so rain ran off rather than lay on it. Doubled the tarp over and bought decent stuff. Longest I had it under here was 4 months but never got wet.

Last edited:
Reactions: Jessey
I would say pallets would do the trick, I used to store some down in our front field before the proper stables were built and it was okay with a tarp on.

Pallets are fab for a base, and I think hay is better if it doesn't touch the cover. If you can rig up a sturdy frame for a tarp it would help. A polytunnel is a great idea. Make the most of any shelter from the prevailing wind when you site it - in the lee of your stable/shelter/shed.

Pallets on the bottom then plastic pallets if you can get them on to the pop the tarp over to allow the hay to breathe, tyres work as well if you double them up

newrider.com