haynets during grooming/tacking/general stabling?

juliecwuk

Mar 2, 2006
Wolverhampton
Just wondered who does and doesnt give their horses haynets during general tying up, general stabling before/after riding, tacking up, grooming?

Its just that mine are in a field with poor grazing, when i bring them in i always give them a haynet.....but i see people on the yard not giving their horses/ponies haynets even if they have been out 24/7 on bare fields....and then they ride with them having an empty stomach (which i have heard can increase the chance of stomach ulcers)...

if the grazing is that poor, then they should be getting hay in the field. horses are trickle feeders and so should have something in their stomachs at all times, empty stomachs can lead to ulcers etc. but a sudden intake of larger amount food is not good to be riding on top of, more chance of colic i think?

I never give mine nets when I am working around them simply because I like them to concentrate on what i am doing and not be throwing their heads around pulling at the net, but then they have ad lib hay OR grazing, so they don't tend to get "hungry"

My lot are not stabled, they are hayed in the field twice a day.
I do give them hay in the winter for grooming, but not tacking up.
I don't give them any in the summer.

Hmm well our "grazing" is non-existant at the moment because of the monsoons (I am only half-joking there :eek:)) so the horses (who live out 24/7) are getting a constant supply of hay in the paddocks. So when they come in to be groomed or whatever, no they do not have haynets, because they don't need them.

If a horse can be ridden for an hour and not eat, he can manage an extra 10mins without food while I tack up :rolleyes:

newrider.com