He does keep me on my toes!

lauren123

Feb 3, 2007
East Yorkshire
We have a electric fence that is hooked up to the mains and does about 6 miles. However some people on the yard say they don' reslly get a shock. Or it trips. Given ginger and his latest escape I am seriously thinking about getting an engersier for peace of mind really. So if I do need to strip graze him or keep him in a area I know there's a high chance that he will say where I put him!
Thoughts? Would you stick with the mains or not.

Yes I would get one too strip graze. What ever you do don't hook it across the mains fence or it will go bang. I would also invest in a solar panel. Costs yes, but reduces the workload. If only doing short runs it should charge without the need to have a separate battery charger. It also means you should have a good poke on a short run.

Reactions: lauren123
I would get another mains unit to run your paddock if you have access to power, get a really good one and either leave the rug off so he learns or tie some tape into the front of it. I'd be really bored with this behaviour by now and bringing out the big guns to nip it in the butt.

Reactions: joellie
I would get another mains unit to run your paddock if you have access to power, get a really good one and either leave the rug off so he learns or tie some tape into the front of it. I'd be really bored with this behaviour by now and bringing out the big guns to nip it in the butt.
Sadly we don't have power down our yard. We do have a mains though. Though I think it trips now and again.

mains electric is run off your power and is by far the best electric fence you will get. However, like all other it has to be maintained. It has to be through a wire that is not frayed or broken and you need to regularly check that it isnt shorting on anything, check for long bits of grass etc etc.
If he wears a rug, you can attach a bit of electric tape to the chest straps and tuck it in ;)

what jessey said

it sounds like you\re not fully sure of how it all work so see if someone onhand can explain it to you, it will make it a lot easier for you setting up effective fences

newrider.com