He grinds his teeth - should I be worried?

Nimbus65

Aug 15, 2005
Kal has started grinding his teeth when he's stressed or trying to puzzle something out - he does it when being ridden/tacked up and not . . . he hates being tied up and does it alot then (along with pawing the ground and generally behaving like a twit), but he also does it when I'm asking him a difficult question when on board (like moving his quarters around his shoulders - he's lacking suppleness behind). Given that he is also given to pacing in his box when left alone, should I be worried about things like ulcers?

Thanks in advance,

N

My old boy does it and still does with his new owner. I've known him for 10 years and he never had any issues regarding teeth or ulcers. He was quite a worried horse in general and so would grind away. He usually did it when he was thinking, most horses chew when they are thinking but he used to grind.

Just keep an eye on him for any signs of illness or if he doesn't seem himself as you usually would for any horse. I wouldn't worry about it too much though. Its unfortunate that when it becomes a habit it sticks!

newrider.com