he is on a role....go ginger

OwnedbyChanter

With out my boys life would be bland
Apr 16, 2009
Raininghamshire
Two test today a prelim 12 with 30 people in the class and a novice 27.

The prelim was lovely never felt so good. I never went wrong but a stupid thing by me i did not change my diagonal i have never been marked down for this before but man this judge was all over it and dropped my score to a four on two movements. Oh well still scored an excellent 66.8%.

Novice was three hours later. So not happy pony and he showed it. Test was going great until canter when he showed his anger with three big bucks on one rein. Rest was really good and over the moon with 68.21% and 3rd.

Ri watched first one and was really pleased. OH was well chuffed as am I.

Love him so much

I think some judges might be very fussy about diagonals. My present RI doesnt mind. But I went to a far away school for lessons to overcome my fear of canter and was taught there by an RI who owned an eventer. She said it was better to be completely mechanical about diagonals and change exactly as I crossed the centre line. She said it ruled out any wondering -
Have had to adjust that rule, as if one is asked in the test to do something else as one crosses the centre line in trot - give and take the reins or some steps of medium trot, one has to wait to change the diagonal later. But I am a simple minded soul and she had me trotting serpentines till it became automatic to change on the centre line. She also said it stopped one looking down. And kept the rhythm steady.
I really liked that teacher as she took the things I found hard and reduced them to A.B.C. But she had also had a lot of coaching herself to compete, like you do OBC - so may be eventing dressage judges do set great store by diagonals?

I don't think being marked low for the wrong diagonal is that harsh really, they do say it is the simplest things that win and lose marks at the lower levels. How much do you get penalised for bucking?

Pleasing results despite the blips! Well done! Will you have to move up to doing two novice tests to keep the pony happy (ie not waiting around?) ... as good an excuse as any surely?!

Crikey, a 3rd after 3 big bucks is pretty good! Perhaps the judge was impressed with your stickability!

All in all a good result all round :)

I spoke to my RI who had that unaffiliated if the judge had a 'thing' about diagonals they can score you down but even she said 4 was rough. The second judge did not and therefore did not mark down for it at all but I did get a 5 for the two movements with the bucks in! which was very fair.

My RI said that at BD they don't mark down for it but at prelim unaffiliated they are not looking for a constant soft contact etc etc just nice forward movement so I guess they just look at different things. I am not bothered and I learnt a good lesson from it and his score would have been totally amazing if I had rode correctly!!!

Skib I never ask over the centre lines normally just before I hit the track so I can get a nice forward movement and a good line and as I am slowly moving up the levels when you cross the centre line I am not asking for extension etc.

newrider.com