he isn't too old, is he?

horse91

Dec 24, 2005
Hey

Yesterday, I went to see a second horse that was for sale. He is a purebred arabian, 14hh, white with black spots around his eyes, 10 years old, and a stallion.

Even though he is a stallion, he is the calmest horse. I went out on a hack with him and he was so calm. I rode him in the school and he was fine also. He jumps 1 meter (with rider) easily- as a full course. but he is not trained for endurance as I hoped but i still loved the horse; I can start coming to the riding school everyday from now until 6 months in order to ride him so that he can join a 20mile endurance with me in the winter (if we are ready). I thought everything about him was great....but not my dad.

My dad said that 10 is too old...!!!!!!!!! I went crazy when I heard that. I thought ten was even young but there is no way to convince my dad about this guy. my dad is not horsey but used to own 5 horses a long time ago (they were for my grandfather)...

anyone have any suggestions for convincing him?!?!

10 too old you've got to be kidding, the best age to get a horse is between 8 and 10 in my opinion, a lot of horses carry on into their thirties. Age 10 I would class as a teenager not an OAP.

What????????? Ten??? Old?????? L.O.L. L.O.L. L.O.L. Oh my!!!! My horse will twenty four years old on May 14th and we jump and hit the trails every day!!!!:eek:
Ten is not old!!!!! Ten is perfect, any age is perfect if the horse and you click;) Tell your dad I challenge him to come on this board and tell me that ten is too old for a horse!!!!!!:D
He just HAS to be pulling your leg!!!!!!!!;)
Ok , Tantrum over...... I feel better now:rolleyes:
I will NOT tell my horse Bernard about this conversation... he will be so mad at your dad!!!!! Tee Heee!

My horse and I thank you so much Maclynky!!!!!! Phewwwww ..... note to self( breathe in for four and out for four!!!!!!!!!!):eek:

Tell your dad that he can come on here and speak to us....... We will set him straight!!! Really, why don't you wait for everyone here to respond to your question and then let your dad read all the replies???????;)

Perhaps a talk with your vet and your Riding instructor would help your father understand.
I would be much more concerned about the fact that it is a stallion- he may be good in a controlled environment, but once you start competing in the open, unless you are experienced with stallions, this may become a difficult-and dangerous- situation. Is gelding him an option?

I have to agree that 10 years old is about perfect in most horsemans eyes. a 10yo horse is over most of the developing- attitude stage, and if properly trained, is ready to settle down to business. Many, many horses compete to age 20 and beyond. 10 can be compared to a 29yo human- old enough to have some valuable experience, but young enough to have the best years still ahead.

Good luck in finding the perfect horse- look at all options, and think clearly!

Did you not see the 18yo jump a clear round in the XC at Badminton yesterday???

Tell your dad!!!

Last edited:
newrider.com