head collar for turn out !

jordanross

Jul 19, 2009
Hi guys..... somebody said to me, that i am CRAZY for not leaving daphis head collar on when i turn her out! the thing is, she is 2 million % brilliant to bring in. i shout her she comes...i put her head collar on and we are off in!

Now my freind says : everybody knows you keep a headcollar on a horse when its turned out what about if there is an accident or you need to get the horse out of the field.

who is right? me or him?

You. I never leave them on, all easy to catch.

There are fieldsafe headcollars that break easily if a headcollar needs to be left on.

You - headcollars on horses turned out make them easier to steal, amongst other dangers!

IF (and its a big if) my horse was a terror to catch, i would leave a cheap leather headcollar on her in the field, NEVER a nylon one. Rideaway sell the field-safe ones, that have a break point in case of emergency.

I did leave Ella's headcollar on her for a while, as she was being a bit of a moo to catch. Now she walks straight up to me and sticks her nose in the headcollar, so i have no need to leave it on any more.

Cossack is brilliant to catch, just comes straight up to me and sticks his head in the headcollar so luckily I don't have to leave one on him :)

I never leave a headcollar on either of mine when I turn them out as I know of a youngster who got it caught on the side of the water trough and broke its neck :eek::eek: Therfore I think that unless your horse is a nightmare to catch never leave on a headcollar :D

Dee is turned out without a head collar on - theres nothing she could catch herself on - her whole field is made of ellecy fencing :rolleyes: but i have no need for her to have one on when shes turned out.

Definitely you, I help out at my yard and we turn out 50+ horses every day and I've never seen anyone leave a head collar on >.>

IF (and its a big if) my horse was a terror to catch, i would leave a cheap leather headcollar on her in the field, NEVER a nylon one. Rideaway sell the field-safe ones, that have a break point in case of emergency.

I did leave Ella's headcollar on her for a while, as she was being a bit of a moo to catch. Now she walks straight up to me and sticks her nose in the headcollar, so i have no need to leave it on any more.

I don't really wana get in that row again as it has been done to death on here.

She is in a Cottage Craft one with like slippy buckles, yes it is nylon, no it is not technically field safe as the field safe one fell off (cannot adjust the noseband)

She is not my horse and C is happy with it so I do as I is told. Most of the time she has the grazing muzzle instead anyways.

Doey is 26 and has always been hard to catch as far as we know of. It is not naughtiness it looks more like fear in her eyes. I don't like to think why but luckily she will let one person catch her who brings her in every day.

newrider.com